Sterling Alvarado

Entertainment

October 31, 2013

Spooky movies

Written by: Ryo Miyauchi
Tags: ,
Halloween4

Ghouls and gore may bring the horror for Halloween, but there’s nothing scarier than dead silence in the night. The Geisel Library of University of California, San Diego is bringing the horror of silence with a screening of silent films. The event is hosted by soundscape artist and UCSD alumnus Scott Paulson and features the Teeny-Tiny Pit Orchestra performing live spooky music to go along with the motion pictures.

Aside from his work as a soundscape artist, Paulson is the outreach coordinator for the UCSD Arts Library and has directed many other festivals, such as the Short Attention Span Chamber Music concert series and the Not-So-Silent Film Festival. Last May, Paulson and his band performed in Paris at the Black France Film Festival. They also recently provided live music for Digital Gym Cinema’s five-day Horrible Imaginings Film Festival celebrating horror stories by new artists.

Paulson and his band encourage audiences to interact and assist them during their live performances. For the silent movie screening at the Geisel Library, the audience is asked to help in the scoring of the shows. “Play a real Theremin, if you dare,” according to the event website. With his musical support, attendees get to create their own horror experiences throughout the evening.

The flicks scheduled for the screenings are a surprise. On the Geisel Library blog, it’s announced to feature 16 mm films, including vampires, ghosts and some in a German-expressionist style. Regardless of the subgenre, the old grainy quality of the visuals as well as the live music of Paulson and the Teeny-Tiny Pit Orchestra, should bring chills for a great Halloween night.

The event is free admission and starts at 7 p.m. at the Seuss Room of UCSD’s Geisel Library. Join Paulson and his screening of spooky tales for a different kind of Halloween experience.

Also Read: Old-fashioned vibe at Reading Cinemas

Photo courtesy of Scott Paulson 

Ryo Miyauchi
Ryo Miyauchi is a journalism junior. He has written for the Daily Aztec since 2012. You can see what music he's listening to here: http://www.last.fm/user/Sneekamouse

04_17_14_Entertainment_DaveMustaine_TravisShinn

Two distinct musical worlds collide

Last Saturday’s performance at Copley Symphony Hall was one to remember for the those who experienced the first ever “Symphony Interrupted,” showcasing Dave Mustaine as a soloist for the San Diego Symphony. What made it u...
by Josselyn Molina
0

04_17_14_Entertainment_METALGEARSOLID_JordanPollock

‘Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes’ is short but sweet

After years of teaser trailers and the whole Moby Dick Studios thing, the first bit of “Metal Gear Solid V” has finally been released in the form of “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.” Since its release, people hav...
by Jordan Pollock
0

DA-Entertainment

Classixx spins smooth house music on Friday night

The high-energy brand of dance music heard at popular raves may not appeal to every dance music fan. For those looking for a smooth alternative, don’t fret. On Friday, April 18, house music duo Classixx will play at nightclub...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

04_17_14_Entertainment_AztecWeekend_JohnHoward

Weekend Picks: Theater and Record Store Day

David’s Picks: “The Foreigner” “The Foreigner” is a popular farce produced by Lamb’s Players Theatre and is now in the middle of an extended run at the Horton Grand Theatre. The story follows Geno Carr as Charlie Ba...
by David Dixon
0

04_17_14_Entertainment_Judas_BrianButler

Laughs and tears in fresh show

After watching “The Last Days of Judas Iscariot,” presented by the Skull & Dagger Dramatic Society at San Diego State’s Experimental Theatre, I went to my car and didn’t even turn on the radio while driving back hom...
by David Dixon
0