Raegan Shelton brings killer instincts to SDSU volleyball

Photo by Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer

The reigning Mountain West Conference Champion, the San Diego State volleyball team, is deep into its season. Fresh off a home win against the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, with five games left to play the Aztecs are No. 6 in conference standings.

The Aztec sat down with last week’s California Bank and Trust Student Athlete of the Week and preseason all-Mountain West team member, senior outside hitter Raegan Shelton, to get to know both the student and the athlete.

The Aztec: When did you start volleyball and what fueled your passion for the sport?

Raegan Shelton: I started volleyball when I was 10. And what fueled my passion throughout playing was the competitiveness of it all and the fact that I was pretty good at that age and wanted to get better. From there I knew that I wanted to play in college.

TA: Why did you decide to come to SDSU?

RS: I chose to come to SDSU because I wanted to experience life outside of Texas, and then when I came on my visit everything fell right into place.  I loved the team, San Diego and the coaching staff.

TA: After the success of winning the MWC last year, how did your team refocus for this season?

RS: We tried not to focus too much on the past wins and to work hard to do the same for this year.

TA: With such a demanding schedule, how do you balance school, volleyball and your social life?

RS: It’s gotten a lot easier as I have gotten older, but I just try to enjoy the moments I’m in and try to balance out everything as equally as I can.

TA: What are you majoring in and why?

RS: I’m majoring in applied design, which is an art major. At first I had no idea what I wanted to do, but as time went on I knew I was good at it and enjoyed working with multiple materials.  I wanted to do something that I knew I could enjoy in the future.

TA: You’re now in your senior year, so what are your plans for after college?

RS: After college I will probably try and play overseas professionally.  If that doesn’t work out, I will most likely go back to Texas to be closer to my family and search for jobs out there.

TA: When you’re not on the court, what do you like to do in your spare time?

RS: In my spare time I like to explore San Diego, spend time with my friends and go to the movies.

TA: Who is your favorite athlete and why?

RS: One of my favorites is Tim Tebow because I like what he stands for and how he’s not afraid to show his faith.