Women’s soccer prepares for MWC tournament

Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer
Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer

It started last week on Oct. 25 when the San Diego State women’s soccer team defeated Boise State University 1-0 on the road.

The lone goal of that game came in the 80th minute against the Broncos when redshirt senior midfielder Sophie Metz scored an unassisted goal late enough in this contest to escape with a victory.

Two days later on Oct. 27, the Aztecs traveled to Utah and shut out Utah State University 2-0, claiming the regular-season Mountain West Conference title. It was senior defender Haley Palmer who led the charge, scoring the game’s only two goals in this contest.

The day after Halloween, the Aztec road rage didn’t stop there. SDSU went on to shut out the University of New Mexico Lobos 1-0 to end the regular season. This time it was junior forward Haley Locker who scored the game winner in a double-overtime victory in the 102rd minute of this contest.

Having only won one road game all year, the Aztecs looked like the championship team coming in with high expectations before the season, as they were able to shut out three teams on the road in their final three games.

SDSU has now officially finished their season with an 11-6-2 record and 9-1 in MWC play.

Next up, the Aztecs will look to defend their MWC tournament title coming in as the No. 1 seed in the semi final round of the league championship. The team they will face will be the No. 5 seed Utah State. The game is set for 7 p.m. tonight in Albuquerque, N.M.

Photo by Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer