Women’s tennis has faulty Fall finish

Photo by Kristian Carreon, Staff Photographer

On a beautiful weekend, the San Diego State women’s tennis team took to the court for the Fall Classic II. The Aztecs, in their final event of the fall season, faced competition from University of Washington, University of Utah, California State University, Northridge, Southern Methodist University, Loyola Marymount University and University of San Diego.

Despite the great weather, it was a difficult finish to the fall season for SDSU. Only one Aztec doubles team made it to a final match of any bracket. That was junior Kristin Buth and senior Laura Antonana Iriarte, who were beaten 8-5 by their opponents from CSUN.

The Aztecs played four doubles matches on the final day of the tournament and won two of them. Sophomore Dora Somoracz and junior Hailey Johnson won 8-4; and sophomore Isabelle Hoorn teamed up with freshman Olivia Larsson to win 8-4 as well. Rounding out the doubles play, freshman Kennedy Davis and sophomore Tami Nguyen were also beaten 8-5.

After the doubles play, the singles matches started and lasted for the rest of the afternoon. Johnson won her first set against junior Holly Verner of SMU before losing the next two sets, 6-3, 6-3.

Somoracz started well against junior Natali Coronel of UW, but fell 7-5, 6-0. Davis also fell to Huskies junior Riko Shimizu, 6-4, 6-2. Larsson was also among the list of SDSU losses with a 6-1, 6-4 loss to sophomore Elanor Grossman of LMU.

On the bright side, Nguyen notched the lone singles win for the Aztecs of Sunday, winning 6-3, 5-7, 10-8 against freshman Mickey Hsu of CSUN in the consolation final in her bracket.

Despite a less-than-desired performance, the fall season serves its purpose as a preseason: a place to find things to work on and experiment with different tactics. Now that the fall season is complete, SDSU will have a two-month layoff until a doubleheader match on Jan. 18 against the University of California, Riverside and CSU Fullerton.

Women’s tennis has faulty Fall finish