Eric Rivera appointed new VP for Student Affairs

Former Acting Vice President for Student Affairs Eric Rivera was appointed vice president for Student Affairs Friday afternoon, President Elliot Hirshman announced via email.

Rivera has worked at San Diego State University for more than 15 years administering the division of Student Affairs’ $30 million budget; in addition to all student affairs departments, human resources, facilities, communication and IT functions. He has also played a role in aligning the university’s strategic plan.

As part of the SDSU’s senior leadership team, Rivera accomplished the following for SDSU:

• In 2010, SDSU received national recognition for best improvement in graduation rate of any public research university in the U.S.
  • In 2012, SDSU was recognized nationally for “an increasingly diverse research institution,” while improving graduation rates and number of low-income students
  • Virtually eliminated the achievement gap for student of color with expected six-year graduation rates

As for his own education accomplishments, Rivera received his master’s degree in public administration from the City University of New York, Baruch College and his bachelor’s of science degree from the University of the State of New York. He also completed the Harvard Management & Leadership in Higher Education Program.

Born and raised in the Bronx in New York City, Rivera was the first in his family to graduate college and continues to commit to the access and success for all students.