SDSU clubs teach, party and play their way into the community

Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers and Society of Mexican-American Engineers and Scientists

Volunteers from both the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers and Society of Mexican-American Engineers and Scientists will be hosting Dia de la Ciencia y la Ingeniería at La Presa Middle School on Saturday, March 1 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

“Hopefully, through this experience we are able to persuade those students’ minds into choosing a STEM-related profession in the future,” SHPE Membership Coordinator and MAES treasurer Emeterio Hernandez said.

Professionals from the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific and the Naval Air Systems Command will help lead the event, where parents and students can expect STEM panels, demonstrations, presentations and liquid nitrogen ice cream.

Through first-hand experience, students can develop problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, Hernandez said.

The ultimate goal of the event is to promote science, technology, engineering and mathematic interest among middle school students and empower the Hispanic community.

Pacific Islander Student Association

The Pacific Islander Student Association’s annual luau will take place on Sunday, April 27 from 3-5 p.m. in Montezuma Hall and is free to all students with a RedID card.

“Students are able to experience a culture and event that they may not have any prior knowledge of,” PISA President Mahealani Reyes said. “They are also able to see that no matter what your cultural background is, anyone can be involved and immersed in cultures they may not be familiar with.”

PISA’s purpose is to spread various Pacific Islander cultures among students, as well as the San Diego community. PISA advocates Pacific Islander cultures through its annual PISA luau, high school conferences, barbecues, community service, intercampus networking, cultural workshops and socials.

“I believe that culture plays a big role in shaping who you are as a person,” Reyes said. “Culture is something that brings people together.”

College Avenue Baptist Church Student Center

The College Avenue Baptist church’s student center college group will be having a “Muggle Quidditch” event on Thursday, March 20 at 7 p.m., located at 4747 College Ave. inside the gym and family center.

Muggle Quidditch, a competitive game inspired by J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series, involves seven players on two teams: three chasers, two beaters, one keeper and one seeker. It incorporates elements of rugby, dodgeball, tag, wrestling and lacrosse.

“Like all of our events, this event is a great place to have a good time and build relationships,” CABC college group president Marie Keller said.

The goal of the CABC student center is to encourage young adults’ transition toward mature adulthood as they process specific age-related issues. The club also focuses on discipleship and fostering spiritual growth.

“We like to connect people together in real genuine relationships,” College Pastor Bryan Eckert said. “I think there is a negative stigma towards Christians, but we are just regular people who love to have fun.”