Weekend Picks: Dom Kennedy and Robert Irwin

Photographer: www.KasimirSzekeres.com

Alek’s Picks

Bassjackers

Come out this Saturday night as Bassmnt presents Bassjackers for their “Awakening Saturdays” series. The Dutch DJ/producers, are known for funky bass drops and their unique style. This is Bassjackers’s first return to San Diego since November as the group accompanied the world-renowned Bingo Players for their nationwide tour. Bassjackers have started 2014 strong, releasing a collaboration with EDM’s youngest phenomenon, Martin Garrix, and his remix of “Crackin.” Bassjackers are set to turn it up to 11 this Saturday, so come out and join the fun.

Dom Kennedy

Following the release of his latest album, Dom Kennedy has started 2014 off with his “Get Home Safely” Tour. Accompanied by special guest Skeme, Dom Kennedy is bringing some ol’ fashioned West Coast hip hop to SOMA. Steadily killing the rap game since 2008, Dom Kennedy has a slew of mixtapes under his belt, along with his freshman album, “From the Westside with Love, II.” With countless collaborations in his library, who knows whom Dom may bring out? Grab some early tickets for only $25 and check out Dom Kennedy this Monday, Feb. 24.

Ryo’s Picks

Robert Irwin

La Jolla’s Quint Contemporary Art gallery is opening up a new exhibition featuring new works by the great Robert Irwin on Feb. 22. For more than 50 years, Irwin has been working with light and space art, and this will be his second solo exhibition at QCA. Irwin explains how his new work explores how light can be used to fill and alter space. On the opening night, QCA is also hosting an open reception from 6 to 8; and the artist will be in attendance. Come by opening night, but if you can’t make it, the exhibition will be on display until April 5.

Personal Narratives

San Diego State’s Downtown Gallery has opened a new exhibition titled “Personal Narratives,” a second part to the previous “Sustainable Systems” exhibition from last year. Open since Dec. 28, “Personal Narratives” features works by the faculty of the school of art and design at SDSU. Gallery talks by the artists are also scheduled for the exhibition. The next one coming up is on Feb. 27 at 6 p.m. with artists Patricia Cue, Richard Keely and Mark Siprut. Take a look at works by members of the university, and get to know the artists behind the works.

Also read: Weekend Picks: Museums and films

Photo courtesy of Kasimir Szekeres 

Ryo Miyauchi, Asst. Arts & Lifestyle Editor