Weekend Picks: Annie Mac and Divergent

Weekend Picks: Annie Mac and Divergent
Jaap Buitendijk

Alek’s Picks

Annie Mac and friends

Coming from the South by Southwest Music and Arts Festival, Annie Mac is finally bringing a full tour stateside. The Irish DJ’s radio show “Annie Mac Presents” on BBC’s Radio 1 has been the go-to source for emerging artists in electronic music, as well as a staple for diverse producers and upcoming DJs. Now she’s bringing that same fire stateside, so come check out the show at Bang Bang this Saturday.

Hardwell

Crowned No. 1 “DJ in the World” by DJ Mag, Hardwell is ready to throw down a special show at San Diego’s Petco Park this weekend. From 2-7 p.m., concertgoers will have Petco Park’s back end field all to themselves to enjoy the sun and the sound of Hardwell, accompanied by Bixel Boys and Bart B More. Downtown San Diego will be bumping all afternoon, and if that wasn’t enough EDM for one day, make sure to check out Hardwell’s premiere after-party at Fluxx nightclub later in the night.

Ryo’s Picks

21+ showings at ArcLight

How about a beer or a cocktail with your popcorn on movie night? For those of age, ArcLight Cinemas offers special 21-and-over showings, and the La Jolla location will host special showings of “Divergent.” Based on the novel of the same name, the dystopian sci-fi film follows teen Beatrice Prior (Shailene Woodley), threatened by her society after discovering she is a “Divergent,” a member of a special faction. If you can’t make it this weekend, check the cinema’s website for additional showtimes in the near future.

“Secrets & Lies”

On March 14, the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego Downtown opened a new exhibition titled “Secrets & Lies,” which features a variety of works from the museum collection. The works in the exhibition explore the concepts of identity and deception through paintings and photography, among other mediums of art. My personal favorites are the series of self-portraits of the photographer in different disguises. The exhibition is on view until June 22, and admission is free for those 25 and younger.

Also read: Weekend Picks: Go out for the night, help a cause

Photo courtesy of Jaap Buitendijk/MCT

Ryo Miyauchi, Asst. Arts & Lifestyle Editor
Weekend Picks: Annie Mac and Divergent