5025 Apartments

Commemorative Issue

March 7, 2014

Home away form home: Finding diversity at the student union

Chief Diversity Officer Aaron Bruce

Throughout the next couple weeks, thousands of visitors, students, faculty and staff will walk through the new Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union and not only notice the mission-styled architecture and the pleasant aromas coming from the new restaurants, but also the range of diverse students who call San Diego State home.

SDSU has received national honors for being one of the most diverse universities in the country and the student union will further help foster diversity on campus.

Gender, religion, race, disability, sexual orientation, nationality and veteran status were all taken into consideration when developing the new student union, Chief Diversity Officer Aaron Bruce said.

“I met with a lot of different committees and planning groups to talk about how to best serve the campus and the campus community,” Bruce said. “So everybody, like commuter students, was thought about as well as disability access as part of the new building.”

As a result, the student union has plenty of space—206,000 square feet to be exact—to meet the needs of 34,000 students and more than 300 different student-run organizations.

Chief Diversity Office Aaron Bruce

Chief Diversity Office Aaron Bruce. Photo by Monica Linzmeier, photo editor

Inside the student union, there are 13 meeting rooms of various sizes and a 300 fixed-seat multipurpose theatre. There are outdoor program areas outside the union, and inside the Center for Leadership & Community Service there are student organization offices.

For Queer Student Union President Thomas Negron Jr. it was only a couple a months ago that his apartment served as his club’s office and storage space. But now, with shared office space within the Center for Leadership & Community Service, his club has a permanent home on campus and therefore another area for his members to feel welcomed.

“I think truly it’s another area for the members of our club because they often feel like there are no spaces for them,” Negron Jr. said. “So this is another space for them and it’s really exciting for them to have access to a new space inside the student union.”

When visitors walk into the Center for Leadership & Community Service, they will see a large open layout filled with decorated student organization offices and cubicles all within close proximity to one another. Having to share a floor with other student clubs has many advantages, Negron Jr. said.

“Last semester, I wasn’t constantly running into other organizations and now we are forced to interact with each other, which is a positive thing,” Negron Jr. said. “One of the reasons we asked to be in this space is because we wanted to bring that diversity to the student union and I’m starting to see these organizations moving in. That’s going to be a huge benefit for us to be working together and working around each other and close by.”

Negron Jr. is not the only student organization president who is excited to utilize all the resources the student union has to offer.

Association of Chicana Activists President Erika Perez said her club plans on using the space for meetings, conferences, storage and events.

“There is really a lot that this new building offers though, for everyone in general,” Perez said.

From the Aztec Recreation Center Express to Aztec Lanes and the numerous lounges that provide wireless Internet access, this building was designed with all students in mind.

“It’s definitely a place to bring all kinds of students together,” Bruce said. “It will become an important gem on our campus for us to celebrate our commitment to sustainability as well as a pathway or entrance into the campus.”

The student union will not only house student organization offices and the Center for Leadership & Community Service, but also a Commuter Student Resource Area and the Center for Intercultural Relations. Moreover, it will help house diversity and spread awareness on the SDSU campus, Bruce said.

“I think most importantly it’s the diversity of the programming that will go on in the new student union and how it engages all our students, not just students who are historically underrepresented,” Bruce said. “But our student body as a whole gets to learn about the great diversity of our campus, as well as the world we live in.”

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, photo editor

Adriana Bush
Adriana Bush is a senior double majoring in journalism and history at San Diego State University. Her passion for writing, interest in sports and desire to share other people's stories has inspired her to pursue a career in sports journalism. She's determined to be a great sports documentarian one day.

04_17_14_Opinion_Queer_Facebook

‘Big Queer BBQ’ reflects all shades of the rainbow

In the 19th century, the word originally meant strange. In the 20th century, queer became a derogatory term defining homosexuals and any others who acted outside traditional gender roles. But today, queer is being reclaimed by ...
by Anthony Berteaux
0

Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union's Union Theatre

Now playing: Nooner concerts and a theater at the student union

Part of the vision for the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union was to bring scholars, faculty, staff and administration together to enjoy the performing arts. In order to do just that, a 300-seat theater was constructed and the N...
by David Dixon
0

The main Lee and Frank Goldberg Courtyard at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union

Design with purpose: Form joins function at the student union

When San Diego State approached CannonDesign architects to design a student union to replace the more than 40-year-old Aztec Center, it presented them with a clear goal in mind. “A challenge that was set out for us was to cre...
by Leonardo Castaneda
0

A recreation of Mario Torero's original Aztec Center mural

Painting the way: Campus murals as cultural expression

Students who wander to the second floor of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union can view artistic echoes of the past.  Specifically, tiled photographs of three murals that were painted onto the walls of the original Aztec Cen...
by Elisse Miller
0

The ARC Express at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union

‘Weight’ a minute: On-the-go and fun ways to get in shape at the student union

Spring is a time for new beginnings. A warm wind begins to breathe life into San Diego State, making its way through the grand arched walkways of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union. With it comes new inspirations and opportu...
by Caitlin Johnson
0