Crime beat 1-24-2011

Hutton Marshall

Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor

Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor

Mugging on College Ave.
Last Wednesday, one female student had her first day of the spring semester interrupted by a team of four muggers.

Two men approached the victim as she was walking alone on College Avenue at 2:30 p.m. When the victim refused to give the two her purse, the suspects snatched it from her, ran across College Avenue and jumped into a Ford Focus with two other men inside. The car was last seen heading southbound on Cresita Avenue.

Child and family development junior Kristen Caldwell was the victim of a very similar crime in November. She was approached from behind at approximately 8:15 p.m. by a man carrying a gun as she walked behind University Towers and had her schoolbag taken from her. Moments later, she saw another man with the suspect as he fled, getting into a white Toyota with two other men inside.

While it is unknown whether the two incidents are related, Capt. Lamine Secka of the SDSU Police Department said the connection “is certainly something the SDPD will be examining.”

Campanile Drive assault
Early Friday morning, a female student was walking home when a male pursued her, grabbed her arm and punched her in the eye. The victim evaded the suspect and contacted the police. The victim said she didn’t have anything the suspect could have taken besides her phone, which was in her pocket.

According to the Campus Community Crime Alert issued for the incident, the suspect is a white male, approximately 5-foot-10-inches to 6-feet tall weighing 160 to 180 pounds with light blond hair. The suspect was wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans, with no facial hair.

Anyone with information relating to these incidents can call Crime Stoppers at 619-235-8477.