New iPod touch trades space for capabilities

Courtesy of Apple

After months of speculation, every Apple fan’s fantasy came true with the introduction of a new line of iPods. On Sept. 5, Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple Inc., launched a new line of iPods in wake of the success of the iPhone.

In the keynote address, which Jobs delivered wearing a black shirt and denim jeans, he unveiled a new line of iPods and reduced the price of the 8GB iPhone to $399. He later offered iPhone users who had purchased the device within the last two months a $100 store credit.

The biggest reveal of the address, however, was the introduction of the new iPod touch. The iPod touch is similar in shape and design to the iPhone and combines many features of a PDA and iPod in one unit.

It’s offered in an 8GB and a 16GB size priced at $299 and $399, respectively. Its size is grossly less than the other flagship devices, but with far more capabilities. Widescreen viewing, Wi-Fi Internet access and music downloads on-the -go are all crammed into the new device. The touch also supports Cover Flow (visual album scrolling).

Starbucks has also jumped into a partnership with Apple, allowing iPod touch and iPhone users free access to in-store Wi-Fi to download music and surf the Internet. More than 600 Starbucks stores will be ready for service by Oct. 2.

The new iPod nano, the first to be unveiled in the keynote address, has been transformed into a squished version of the previous generations of the iPod. The new nano also includes a video feature not previously available on any standard iPod nano. Jobs enthusiastically said the new motto for the iPod nano is “A little video for everyone.”

The iPod nano is offered in 4GB and 8GB sizes. The 4GB is listed at $149 and only comes in silver, while the 8GB is set at $199 and is offered in an array of colors. It’s billed as an iPod with a brighter screen and better battery life with an all-metal design.

There are more changes inside the iPod nano and the new line as well. Apple completely reinvented its interface to improve user experience with the Cover Flow system already seen on the iPhone. Cover Flow allows music to be flipped through by album cover in a 3-D-like environment on the click wheel. The main menu showcases rolling images from photo albums and album covers using to a screen saver.

Other changes to the iPod line include the renaming of the flagship iPod and a massive expansion of memory. The sixth generation is now called the iPod classic, dropping the simplistic name of the original.

Apple decided to drop the 30GB size of the iPod to meet the demand for more space. The base model of the iPod classic is now 80GB at $249, with the upgraded size a monstrous 160GB for $349. The design of the iPod classic is still based on the original; however, it’s advertised as sleeker than its predecessor and now made with an all-metal enclosure. The battery life has also been extended, making it more feasible to view movies on the small screen.

With all the new product choices, some consumers may raise an eyebrow at cost disparity. An 80GB iPod classic will cost almost as much as the iPod touch, which has 10 percent of the music and video space. New users will have to determine if the option of the iTunes Wi-Fi store and a touch screen is the right choice when compared to the possibility of 72GB more space.

Last week’s keynote address for the iPod unveiled new products for eager buyers at a perfect jumping point for the holiday season. Apple and Jobs hope for a solid holiday season, and this new line is bound to deliver that.