Winter comfort foods without the extra weight

Think Stock

Comfort foods remind people of childhood. They are craved on a cold, rainy day. Or simply put, they make a person feel good. Because of their enjoyable nature, it is a shame most of these have a large amount of calories, fat and sodium.

Even at a young age, it is important to be diet-conscious to prevent future health problems. The good news is many of these comfort foods can be substituted with other ingredients to provide a healthier alternative.

When cooking macaroni and cheese, the whole milk can be replaced with skim milk, light butter instead of regular butter and reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese can be used. Another option is to use sharp cheese, but only sparingly.

Chicken noodle soup is a comfort food to many during the time of year that is cursed with sickness. A healthier option calls for low-sodium chicken broth and whole wheat egg noodles. Add celery, carrots, fresh garlic and ginger for flavor.

Even fried chicken can be prepared using a different method. Coat the chicken with flour, sesame seeds, olive oil and spices. The key is to bake the chicken, which will eliminate fat compared to frying.

For a healthy alternative to mashed potatoes, use cauliflower. Blend the cooked cauliflower, skim milk, salt and pepper in a blender. Pour into a baking dish and bake until it is bubbly.

The health-conscious cook can even make healthier burgers. Form patties from nutritious black beans and bulgur, a Middle Eastern grain.

There are easy tricks to making numerous recipes healthier. Choose whole grain foods rather than processed grains, because the latter lacks many key nutrients that are lost during processing. Butter can be substituted with unsaturated oils such as canola and olive oil. This is a healthier choice because they do not contain saturated fats.

When it comes to dairy products, it is easy to choose reduced or nonfat, such as part skim cheeses or nonfat sour cream. Being aware of these health options will benefit comfort food lovers in the long run.