Finance program named in top 10

SDSU’s financial planning program has had success as a leader in the area. | thinkstock

The San Diego State College of Business Administration was recognized for its financial planning program by Financial Planning magazine as one of the top 10 best financial planning schools in the U.S.

“The main reason we were on the list of the top schools is because our program was the first one in the country,” founder of the personal financial planning program Thomas Warschauer said. “We were doing it longer than anyone else so we have a lot of experience in trying to help prepare people to meet the needs of employers and the public in financial planning.”

“We are honored that Financial Planning has recognized the college’s commitment to educational excellence,” Michael Cunningham, dean of the SDSU College of Business Administration, wrote in a news release.

Within the personal financial planning major, students are able to provide individuals the help they need to make financial decisions, unlike the corporate finance major where students may be more inclined to help big businesses handle financial problems.

“The editors of Financial Planning magazine wanted to include good schools, so it was based partly on the reputation of San Diego State, on the reputation of the Business School of San Diego State and partly based on this program, which has been around for a very long time and is very well known around the country,” Warschauer said.

The financial program, accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, offers undergraduate, graduate and executive programs to students seeking a career in the financial field.

According to Warschauer, the SDSU financial planning program has a “very strong relationship” with outside employers who are looking to hire students in the financial program areas.

“The job prospects in this area are very good right now,” he said.

Finance program named in top 10