Hillcrest eatery awakens snoozing palates

snooze

Snooze, an A.M. Eatery is anything but snooze-worthy. If the vibrant, retro-themed interior — complete with sky-high ceilings and an all-glass front wall — isn’t enough to awaken night owls, the restaurant’s one-of-a-kind, organic Guatemalan coffee and sprightly staff ought to do the trick.

Snooze’s first California location recently opened in Hillcrest, offering San Diegans an innovative approach to morning cuisine, focused on thoughtful service, sustainable food, community involvement and the ultimate dining experience.

The eatery’s diverse menu reflects its zestful ambience, providing a wide range of breakfast, brunch and drink selections, homemade with organic and local ingredients whenever possible.

One example of Snooze’s tempting menu options is its esteemed Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes.

“It is definitely the dish we are best known for,” Snooze’s assistant general manager, Nick Papantonakis, said.

These saucer-sized, melt-in-your-mouth buttermilk pancakes are infused with caramelized pineapple chunks and topped with signature vanilla creme anglaise and cinnamon butter, putting conventional pancakes to shame for an affordable $7.50 per plate.

Those hankering for a simple breakfast dish can delve into a plate of Niman Ranch cage-free eggs with hash browns and toast for $7. Diners can also enjoy a hearty breakfast burrito stuffed with fluffy eggs, cheese, hash-browns, salsa and house black beans for $8.50.

Snooze also appeals to diners with restricted diets, offering gluten-free pancakes and eggs Benedict on request. There are also several dishes that can be easily tweaked to cater to the tastes of vegetarian breakfast lovers.

Cash-strapped students do not need to stress much about the bill, because menu items are reasonably priced between $7 and $11 a plate.

Snooze already has five established locations in Colorado. The first opened in Denver on April 2, 2006. However, the birthplace of Snooze’s concept was crafted when owner Jon Schlegel worked in the hospitality industry in La Jolla after graduating college.

The restaurant’s website describes it as “coming home” in a way.

To ensure the Hillcrest location holds true to Snooze’s high standards for early morning noshing, general manager Robert Butterfield, Papantonakis, chef Adam Gilly and each smiling, cheery staff member come together to instate Schlegel’s original ideals of sustainability, philanthropy and “bringing the best breakfast and brunch experience around.”

Upon finishing a meal at Snooze, it becomes evident the Hillcrest location will have no problem gaining credibility in the burgeoning San Diego foodie community.

With its noteworthy menu selections, environmental awareness, community involvement and a “How can we serve you?” approach, Snooze is able to set itself apart with its genuine altruism.

“The money that would be used for marketing we instead use to give back to the community,” Papantonakis said.

Already, Snooze has partnered with Monarch School for homeless students, Sunburst Youth Housing Project and A Reason To Survive after-school art program with plans to continue a partnership with Monarch School in the future.

Snooze, an A.M. Eatery is open Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on 5th Avenue in Hillcrest. Stop in to bask in Snooze’s eclectic ambience, revel in its grade A service and bite into some of the best pancakes around.