Immunity for Lewinsky now

What was the relationship between President Clinton and former intern Monica Lewinsky while she was working at the White House?

What, if anything, did the president tell Lewinsky?

Is there any physical evidence?

So far, we haven’t heard anything from Lewinsky herself. We’ve heard from her lawyer. We’ve heard from the men from her past relationships. We’ve heard from Linda Tripp, the person who taped the phone conversations that discuss the alleged affair. We’ve even heard from special prosecutor Kenneth Starr.

But we haven’t heard from Lewinsky.

When prosecuting, the object is to get to the root of the problem and go after the biggest fish.

Well, guess what. The fish don’t get any bigger than the president of the United States.

The American people have the right to know what their leader is doing.

If giving this former intern immunity to get to the truth is what it takes, then we have a right to hear what she has to say.

If she is given immunity, we can only assume as much credibility as her testimony warrants.

Lewinsky’s attorney, William Ginsburg, revealed this weekend that she has a tendency to exaggerate. There’s only one way to find out.

It has been suggested that Starr could give Lewinsky “use immunity,” a process in which the independent counsel would get a court order forcing Lewinsky to answer questions before a grand jury or face jail. That testimony could not be used against her, but she still could be prosecuted on the basis of other evidence.

There are so many questions in this case that remain unanswered. We need to find out what Lewinsky knows. And fast.

Immunity for Lewinsky now