SDSU receives learning lesson

The storylines were aplenty as the San Diego State women’s lacrosse team kicked off its inaugural season on Saturday against the No. 18 Ohio State Buckeyes in Palo Alto at Stanford.

In the program’s first-ever collegiate game, SDSU was defeated 19-4 and showed its lack of experience, according to first-year head coach Kylee White.

“We lacked experience in our decision-making, and didn’t play our style for the entire 60 minutes,” White said, whose 28-player roster features 24 freshmen. “We had moments where we played true Aztec lacrosse, but there were also moments where doubt came into mind and we looked like a new team.”

The Aztecs (0-1) took an early lead when freshman attacker Lauren Maack scored 22 seconds into the game, but the Buckeyes (1-0) scored eight unanswered goals to set the tone and take an 8-1 lead. After another goal by Maack, Ohio State added six more goals to make it 14-2 at halftime.

SDSU improved its play in the second half, allowing only five goals, but it wasn’t enough to get the Aztecs back into the game.

Sophomore attacker Meris Walsh and freshman attacker Jackie Mills added one goal apiece, but the Aztecs could not generate enough offense to outscore the Buckeyes.

White, who played at Ohio State from 1999-2002, was admittedly a bit nervous facing her alma mater, but is excited to see how her new team grows and responds after the tough loss.

“I have to give Ohio State all the credit, they are an excellent team,” White said. “It was great to battle them in our first game, and I think we are going to take this and grow from it and learn from it.”

White also stressed the importance of finally getting the first game out of the way. After months of scrimmages and practicing against each other, they were finally able to experience a real game.

“Having this first game under our belt is really going to help us next weekend,” White said. “Now we know what Division I lacrosse looks like and feels like, because you can’t really emulate it in practice.”

SDSU will host Cincinnati at 7 p.m. this Friday in its first-ever home game.

SDSU receives learning lesson