Benefits of online classes

At San Diego State, students have the option to take online classes. After a computer readiness survey, students are able to complete course work at their own pace in any location with Internet connection.

“It requires much more self-discipline and responsibility because you have assignments and due dates, but no face-to-face meeting time for the teacher or fellow students to remind you,” SDSU senior Kevin Kaderabek said.

Kelly Lane, who teaches contemporary nutrition online, disagrees.

“If you can get past the first hurdle of setting up the class, anyone can succeed,” Lane said.

With teaching experience in both online and traditional courses, Lane does not see a relationship between a specific type of learner and success in an online class. “The lectures are the same, the tests are the same and the activities are very similar,” she said.

AccordingtoLane,theonline course is ideal for students looking for something convenient, whether they have a busy work schedule, a family to care for or want to complete the coursework outside of a classroom.

The online course has a schedule and an outline just like a traditional class, butlectures are archived and allow students to make the class work around their personal schedules.

Lane said the flexible schedule is a good way to pace students without imposing too much work upon them.

While there is an absence of face-to-face time in a fully online class, Lane and other online instructors hold live online office hours for students to share concerns and ask questions. Instructorsarealsoavailable to respond to emails in the online environment.

“It’s great not having to goto class for a couple hours a week,” Kaderabek said. “It’s also probably the only time you’ll be able to attend class in your underwear—arguably the best part about it.”

This semester SDSU offers 29 upper and lower division online courses. Many of the courses fulfill general education requirements for sciences, humanities or cultural diversity.

Online classes are something students should consider if they are looking for a convenient course schedule in a flexible learning environment.

Benefits of online classes