Fisher and Boylen exchange words about timeout

Edward Lewis

SDSU vs. Boylen

With 1.2 seconds left on the clock in the second half, his team down by 32, Utah head coach Jim Boylen called a timeout.

What was left of the 12,414 in attendance on Tuesday night at Viejas Arena all turned to each other and let out a collective Are you kidding me? groan.

In the postgame hand shake line, Boylen had words with SDSU head coach Steve Fisher. This is what Fisher had to say about the last-second timeout and the icy postgame meeting:

“Jim Boylen said to me after the game, ‘Why did you shoot the ball (with six seconds left, up by 32)?’ Fisher said. “And I said ‘Jim, there was a two-second difference between the shot clock and the game clock, did you want me to take a violation?'”

With six seconds left in the game, Aztecs forward Mehdi Cheriet buried a jumper to make the game 85-51, which Boylen seemed to think was Fisher running up the score on Boylen’s Utes.

“We weren’t trying to rub it in,” Fisher said. “And he came back later and said, ‘If I was wrong I apologize.’ I don’t know if that’s why he took (the timeout) or not. He might have been wanting to work on a last-second situation at the end. I don’t know.”

In regards to the timeout, Boylen said, “I have to coach  my team. It’s a teachable moment. I have to take every advantage of that.”

SDSU and Utah won’t face off again this season, unless they meet in the MWC Tournament next month in Las Vegas.