World Beat

Israel election turnout

More than 10,000 polling stations opened on Tuesday as Israelis participated in a general election. According to BBC News, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is expected to return to office.

This year’s election, unlike past campaigns, focused on resolving social and economic issues.

Officials said more than 5.6 million people were eligible to vote on Tuesday and the voter turnout reached 66.3percent as of 6 p.m. local time—the highest level since 1999.

Quadruple helices found in human DNA

The genetic code carrier of life has mostly been known and taught as a double helix. Recently, however, scientists at Cambridge University said four-stranded DNA molecules have been discovered.

The study found that the quadruple helix is present inside human cells. Researchers have connected a possible link between these four-stranded helices and cancer.

According to BBC News, the Cambridge scientists are waiting to see if pharmaceutical companies will invest in more research to analyze the use of quadruplexes as therapeutically viable targets.

Mining venture in asteroids

Deep Space Industries has announced its plan to exploit the rare metals present in asteroids. The announcement has left some scientists skeptical of the idea, while others will embrace a possible trillion-dollar business.

The expeditions, which will be conducted using spacecrafts called “Fireflies,” are expected to launch for the first time in 2015 and will last from two to four years.

Scientists opposing asteroid mining argue that it would not be very cost-effective. According to BBC News, an upcoming recent NASA mission will cost $1 billion to return just 60 grams of material from an asteroid.

World Beat