‘Monologues’ to raise awareness

02_07_13_News_VaginaMonologues_JOV-Day at San Diego State embraces the vagina as a symbol for strong women, destory taboos surrounding women and bring to light the struggles women face. V-Day is part of a global campaign to end violence against women by donating all proceeds of “The Vagina Monologues” to local charities and international campaigns.

“We’re big and blunt. We’re making a statement,” theater sophomore and cast member Becca Burrola said.

Students have heard V-Day members shouting catchphrases, puns and witty remarks about vaginas on campus, but some passersby never learn the true purpose of the organization or the show.

V-Day’s message to the public is that violence against women is not just a women’s issue; it’s something everybody needs to care about and strive to end.

“All SDSU students should care about the cause because, statistically, half of them are women and the other half at least came from a woman,” producer and women studies junior Sharlene Castle said.

The movement is about love for oneself, for others and, specifically, for women.

“The Vagina Monologues” features talk about orgasms, sex toys, tampons and the ultimate female experience. The show is meant to address barriers society puts on women and addresses topics ranging from great sex to rape to abuse.

Cast member Hannah Parsell, a social work and child and family development senior, said the cause behind “The Vagina Monologues” makes it especially entertaining, unique, and mature.

“They’re taboo topics about real women and their vaginas,” Parsell said. “It’s like nothing you’ve ever seen before.”

Co-director artist Jenise Dew described the show as empowering, impactful, meaningful and fun.

Hospitality and tourism management sophomore Curtis Kent agreed. He attended the show last year and said, as a man, watching the performance was eye-opening for him.

“It made me think twice about women and the ups and downs they experience in life,” Kent said.

“The Vagina Monologues” is premiering at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 8 and 9 and at 2:30 p.m. on Feb. 10  in SDSU’s Don Powell Theater. Tickets, which are $15 presale and $17 at the door, can be purchased at the V-Day table on campus or at vdaysdsu.givezooks.com. All proceeds go to local beneficiary Center for Community Solutions and V-Day’s One Billion Rising campaign.

For more information, please contact vdaysdsu@gmail.com

‘Monologues’ to raise awareness