Aztecs come up short in the pool

Despite the sunny San Diego Saturday, the forecast was not so bright for the No. 6 San Diego State water polo team, dropping a 6-5 decision to No. 7 University of California Irvine.

The Aztecs opened up Big West Conference play against the Anteaters, facing each other for the third time in only three weeks. UCI was hot out of the gate, leading SDSU 4-1 by cashing in on prime 6-on-5 opportunities early in the game.

The Aztecs would not back down, scoring two goals in the last two minutes of the first half. Senior utility Emily Whalen put the Aztecs on the board when she fired an outside shot from the weak side to beat UCI goalie Jillian Yocum. Senior utility Amber Pezzolla scored her first goal of the game by pouncing on a Yocum miscue, forcing the ball in the cage to bring SDSU within two goals. Sophomore driver Anique Hermann closed out the first half of play by scoring for the Aztecs with only one
second remaining.

Whalen carried the impressive play for the Aztecs as she earned a penalty shot by working the ball inside. Pezzolla recorded her second goal of the game when she converted the penalty shot going cross-cage to tie the
game 4-4.

anior driver Hannah Croghan, scored a cross-cage lob to give UCI a one-goal advantage going into the
fourth quarter.

UCI struck first in the final quarter of play when Croghan scored her third goal of the game off of a quick shot from two meters. The Aztecs answered back when sophomore attacker Kelli Boling drew an exclusion to put SDSU up a player. Sophomore center Tori Long took advantage of the man-up play when she scored a strong side shot to bring SDSU within one goal. Unfortunately for the Aztecs, time was not on their side and UCI recorded its first conference win of the season. The Aztecs fell to 10-6 overall and 0-1 in conference play.

The Aztecs remain at home this week when they play an exhibition game at 3 p.m. on Thursday at the Aztec Aquaplex against the Brazilian Junior National Team. SDSU will then play its second conference game of the season on Saturday, traveling to Los Angeles to take on Cal State University, Northridge.

Aztecs come up short in the pool