Science Beat

Study claims bird flu in China is adapting to mammals

A strain of bird flu that has been slowly spreading throughout China is now believed to be adapting to infect mammals. The strain of flu, labeled H7N9, has been reported in 49 people and has now spread hundreds of miles from its original breakout point, according to ABC News. A collaborative study on the virus’ genomic sequences published earlier this month has revealed how mutations in the sequence are allowing it to infect and multiply in human hosts.

The research examined genetic samples of the virus from humans, birds and a Shanghai market in China where an outbreak had occurred among the birds. The market outbreak resulted in the slaughtering of thousands of poultry by Shanghai officials to quell any further spread. Scientists believe migratory birds from East Asia brought the influenza strain.

The results of the study’s analyses revealed the human samples possess a mutation in a protein that allows the virus to bind to host cells and another mutation that allows the virus to replicate in cooler temperatures. According to the study’s co-conductor Yoshihiro Kawaoka of the University of Winsconsin, Madison and Japan’s National Institute of Infection Diseases, these mutations allow for the virus to infect cooler areas of the human body such as the respiratory system.

The stages of the outbreak are too early to predict if an epidemic could occur, but Kawaoka says that the virus’ ability to infect humans is undeniable.

White House gives scientific research a boost in the 2014 fiscal year budget

President Barack Obama has proposed an increased budget for federal research and development in the 2014 fiscal year to $142.8 billion, an increase of $1.9 billion from 2012.

Obama believes this new budget will allow greater progress in future industries and solutions to both national and global issues. As with all increases, the new budget will also be decreasing funding in other areas such as the departments of Defense and Energy. A White House press release states this is because the Department of Defense weapons-system development’s transitioning to a more secure and productive phase.

Clean energy and transportation is also receiving much-needed attention, with funds generated by federal oil and gas development creating an Energy Security Trust. The trust will support research on renewable, cost-effective energy production.

Future undergraduate and graduate students studying in the sciences will also be comforted to hear the National Science Foundation will be given a $7.6 billion budget to support and improve science education programs.

Science Beat