Sigma Chi faces investigation

05_07_13_News_SigmachiHazing_CMThe Delta Xi Chapter of Sigma Chi fraternity at San Diego State has been put on interim suspension pending an investigation by Student Life & Leadership. According to the San Diego Sigma Chi Alumni Chapter website, this is because of “actions that include an alleged hazing incident.”

While Assistant Director of SLL for Greek Life Yvonne Hernandez could not give any details about the ongoing investigation or the alleged incident, she outlined what interim suspension meant for a fraternity, and the outcome of past incidences of hazing at SDSU. She also emphasized that an investigation by SLL does not in any way imply guilt.

“The process that we do (when investigating a chapter) is that we will immediately put a chapter on interim suspension, to kind of get them to back down to basics,” Hernandez said. “If there is a hazing incident we also tell them that they shouldn’t have contact with pledges, so that way, if there is any behavior like that, it scales them back.”

In the process of interim suspension, a chapter may only hold chapter meetings. Among other suspended rights and privileges, the chapter loses the right to vote on Interfraternity Council or participate in university or Greek-sponsored activities.

Hernandez said the last time a fraternity was found guilty of hazing  at SDSU was in 2011, when Chi Rho Omicron had its charter removed, which means it no longer exists in any way at SDSU.

There may be a separate investigation by SDSU Police Department if the incident is suspected to involve criminal activity, although SDSUPD’s Capt. Lamine Secka said his department hears of several reports of hazing each year, few actually require police involvement.

SLL handles disciplinary investigations involving organizations, while Student Rights and Responsibilities handles cases regarding individual students. If SRR and SLL deem the actions of members independent of the organization they are a part of, only SRR’s investigation regarding the independently acting individuals will continue.

The national Sigma Chi chapter may also play a role in the situation if it’s deemed necessary. According to the San Diego Sigma Chi website, a board of Sigma Chi alumni will interview each active member in the chapter. If disciplinary action proves necessary, the national chapter may work with SDSU, SRR or SLL to decide appropriate action. Sigma Chi Executive Director Mike Dunn said collaborating with universities is vital for ensuring the outcome of any situation is educational, as is the goal of fraternities and universities.

“We very much support—on all the campuses we’re on—that open collaboration with the school, just so we’re all singing on the same song sheet,” Dunn said.

SDSU Sigma Chi chapter members did not immediately respond to a request to comment on the situation.

Sigma Chi faces investigation