Candidate could be disqualified

Carlos Razo, lone candidate for A.S. president, started off his speech making light of the fact he’s running unopposed.
Daily Aztec/HEATHER DEPPE

The Associated Students could disqualify a candidate because of possible illegal campaigning.

The A.S. Elections Committee will review Jena Salda?a’s candidacy for the College of Arts and Letters representative at its meeting today.

Salda?a, who is currently the Residence Hall Association representative to the A.S. council, will be reviewed because of student claims that she participated in telephone campaigning, a violation of A.S. bylaws.

An anonymous letter to The Daily Aztec said that Salda?a violated section 3.17 subsection P of the bylaws, which states, “There shall be no use of telephone campaigning, e-mail, online, computer network, fax, television, radio or cable.”

The claim stems from a phone call made by an RHA member to all of the resident advisers in the residence halls informing them that only RHA-endorsed candidates, including Salda?a, may advertise in the residence halls. Posters belonging to a candidate who was not endorsed by the RHA were found in one of the residence halls and removed.

The student who wrote the letter claims the call qualifies as campaigning, because Salda?a’s name was mentioned, and though Salda?a didn’t make the call, she is responsible for the actions of members of her campaign, according to section 3.17, subsection O of the bylaws.

Salda?a said she thought there was some confusion about her two roles as RHA president and candidate for the College of Arts and Letters.

“The students pay for me to be in this position (RHA president). I refuse to let go of the RHA presidency for two weeks (of campaigning),” Salda?a said.

Candidates for A.S. offices also gave speeches yesterday at Monty’s Patio. Carlos Razo, the lone candidate for A.S. president, started off his speech making light of the fact he’s running unopposed.

“I just want everyone to know that I am more qualified than my opponent,” Razo said.

Other executive candidate speakers included Frankie Jaramilla and Paul Astwood, candidates for vice president of finance; Celinda Vazquez, candidate for vice president of external affairs; and Jason “Woody” Wood and Ricardo Lara, candidates for executive vice president.

Speakers from the college councils included Yvonne Martinez, a candidate for representative of the College of Business, and three candidates for representative of College of Arts and Letters: Stephanie Sperber, Jena Salda?a and Maria Teresa Roque Gerolaga. Candidate Altie Taylor Holcomb did not participate in the speeches.

The candidate for the single College of Education seat, Amy Kravitz, did not participate in the speeches. Nor did candidates for the College of Sciences Pedro Anaya and Jennifer Bresler. Candidates for representing undeclared majors, Jason Lee Rollingson and Shaun Thomas Flanigan, also did not participate.

Candidate could be disqualified