Standout Compact for Success program earns recognition

Photo Courtesy of Janet Abbott
Janet Abbott, Compact for Success

San Diego State’s Compact for Success program has recently been recognized by the National Journal as the “leading innovator in higher education.” In addition to the recognition, the National Journal invited one of the program’s directors Janet Abbott to speak at the Back in Business forum in Washington, D.C.

SDSU was honored for its efforts to promote higher retention and graduation rates through a partnership with the Sweetwater Union High School District. The program allows middle and high school students with good academic standing guaranteed admission to SDSU upon completion of the program requirements.

Compact for Success Program Director Lou Murillo said  the recent recognition from the National Journal can be attributed to the program’s effectiveness.

“I think its pretty much established a pretty outstanding track record of accomplishment, and I think that’s what drew our program to the attention of the National Journal,” Murillo said.

“They were looking at models of programs that have been undertaken by universities to encourage students to apply to a college and I think our program stands out as probably one of the better ones in the country.

Murillo also said it’s not unusual for the program to get recognition. He said the program has been awarded several recognitions from The Campaign for College Opportunity, based in California, and also by Excelencia in Education, based in Washington, D.C.

Murillo sympathizes with many students of the program and credits his own success to his college education. Murillo highlights the programs as his way to give back.

“It’s my opportunity to kind of pay it forward so that other students can learn what I learned and  I can have an impact on the next generation of Latino leaders,” Murillo said.

SDSU was represented by Abbott during the Back in Business forum held by the National Journal on June 19. SDSU was chosen as a leading innovator because of its comprehensive approaches to addressing the needs of underrepresented first-generation minority students and its efforts to help them go to college. The 13-year-old program has evolved since its inception. Abbott said she improves the program by utilizing data to make informed decisions to plan student initiatives.

Abbott participated in the forum along with other educators, government officials and business leaders.

In the discussion, Tom Rudin, vice president for career readiness for the College Board, praised SDSU’s Compact for Success’ use of data to improve the program.

“It’s so great that you use data to drive what you’re trying to do, you use measurement as a tool to drive innovation, that’s exactly what we need more of actually,” Rudin said.

The Compact for Success program starts in seventh grade for eligible students. Mentors are sent to all SUHSD middle schools to serve as role models for younger students.

Former mentor Lyle Batalona recalls his role in the mentorship program in Chula Vista Middle School, where he was once a student.

“I wanted to give back to my community since there are not many opportunities there,” Batalona said. “I got really good feedback from the students.”

Murillo explains what the Compact for Success program looks for in mentors.

“We tell them, first and foremost, they’re role models for students,” Murillo said. “We really look for students who have a strong sense of social justice, because you can’t manufacture that.”

Current Compact for Success student Andrew Orellano expressed his gratitude for the program. He said the program has provided him with valuable information and opportunities while in college.

“I can’t believe that we have this resource in college, I mean Compact for Success was there since the beginning,” Orellano said.

The program was founded in 1999 by an agreement between former SDSU President Stephen Webber and former SUHSD superintendent Ed Brand. Their objective was to help high school students from the SUHSD attend college at SDSU.