A look into five SDSU student organizations

Graphic designed by Carlos Jimenes
Graphic designed by Carlos Jimenes

Safezones@sdsu : Ensures campus safety for LGBTs

This organization is accepting and proactive for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, queer, intersexed and allies community. It provides a supportive, informative and welcoming atmosphere for all members of the San Diego State community.

Andrea O’ Donnell Womyn’s Outreach Association of SDSU: An anti-sexist organization

This feminist group is anti-racist, anti-classist, anti-homophobic, anti-ablist, anti-sizeist and multi-racial. It addresses issues important to communities that may be marginalized.

“The main goal of our organization is to raise awareness about the inequalities faced by particular genders, sexualities and races,” WOA President Kaia R. Los Huertos. “Raising awareness doesn’t just mean educating people about the issues, but also providing people with resources and other organizations that they can work with to accomplish change.”

HeadSTRONG: Fitness and nutrition organization.

This group was established to encourage positive self-esteemes, leadership and general well-being. The group focus on physical and mental health, and also fundraises money and donates to nonprofits.

“Our mission is for overall wellness in the mind, body, and spirit,” HeadSTRONG Marketing Director Haley Ford. “Being a member of HeadSTRONG gives you opportunities to make friends by doing things you love, give back to the community, and get involved on campus.”

Education Without Borders: Promotes awareness of issues faced by underrepresented students

This organization provides resources to network, community service, social events, fundraising and leadership opportunities. Through political activism and engagement, it hopes to raise awareness and bring about positive change.

“We want to create a support system that encourages diversity and the right to equal access to education. Our main goal is to let everyone know that undocumented students exist and they are just regular students,” Information Chair of Education without Borders Jose Eduardo Mogollan said.
Aztec Diamonds: “SDSU’s official drill team”

This group of dancing Aztecs describes themselves as “sexy, sensual and sassy.” The group is intended to encourage creative dance, women’s empowerment and cultivate self-esteem.

Flying Samaritans: Provides health care for people in need in Tijuana, Mexico

The group of students, alumni, faculty and professionals set up a free monthly medical care center in Ejido Matamoros, Mexico.

“As a member, you also experience the satisfaction that comes from an increased cultural awareness and sense of teamwork through active participation,” Flying Samaritans at SDSU President Ruth Aguilar said. “Student volunteers and medical professionals are dedicated to providing free health care to underserved populations in Tijuana, Mexico through monthly medical clinics.”