Aztecs shows support at AIDS Walk and Run

James+Thibault%2C+Staff+Photographer+
James Thibault, Staff Photographer

The San Diego Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center organized the 24th annual AIDS Walk and run, in addition to the street challenge at Balboa Park to raise awareness and funds for AIDS and HIV service providers last Sunday,.

The early Sunday morning started off with a Zumba warm up, a performance by the Cheer Elite and Francis Parker cheerleaders, a speech by San Diego Interim Mayor Todd Gloria and a musical selection by the San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus. The 10K run started at 7:30 a.m., followed by the walk at 8:30 a.m. and street challenge at 9 a.m. A health and wellness fair was also held, along with a memorial garden display and survivors’ exhibit.

San Diego State’s Afrikan Student Union, Delta Lambda Phi, Association of Chicana Activists, American Medical Student Association and the Queer Student Union volunteered to cheer on participants, distribute water and direct runners and walkers to their trail.

Photo by James Thibault, Staff Photographer

“We want to bring awareness to specific issues that our community deals with,” QSU President Thomas Negron said.

More than 8,000 teams, individuals, social clubs, local businesses, schools, universities and faith organizations participated in the one-day event.

“There are so many different stories on why people walk,” Teams Manager and General Inquiries for AIDS Walk and Run San Diego Ian Johnson said. “Everyone is trying to make a difference.”

More than one million Americans have been diagnosed with HIV. About 125,000 of those diagnosed live in California and San Diego is home to more than 12,500 of those infected. This includes Michael Manacop, an SDSU business senior who found out he was HIV positive last summer.

“I’m so grateful for being alive today and I share sorrow and grief for all the lives that were lost when HIV and AIDS was like a plague in the ‘80s and ‘90s, and also for all the friends and family members who have been affected by the many losses,” Manacop said.

He participated in the 10K and was able to gain $1,000 for his team, Strength for the Journey San Diego. The organization coordinates annual retreats for people living with AIDS and HIV.

“We’re getting more people involved,” Director of Development for the San Diego LGBT Community Center Brandon Tate said. “We like to see increase every year.”

The AIDS Walk and Run San Diego is the largest one-day event in San Diego County for AIDS and HIV. Last year, $400,000 was given to local agencies and thus far the annual fundraiser raised more than $8.5 million.

“There have been so many advancements and I hope in my lifetime there is a cure; I think that’s what everyone kind of hopes for,” Johnson said.

Read about previous AIDS Walk and RUn events.

Photos by James Thibault, Staff Photographer.