Target BYU fans with Aztec pride, not Mormons

Alexander Higgins

Moments after the San Diego State men’s basketball team’s second loss of the season to BYU on Saturday, I got a text from a number I didn’t recognize. It read simply, “Yea BYU! 😉 Not once, but twice!” I was already furious and that text sent me into a full on rage, so I responded by telling the anonymous texter that they should go straight to hell, while also contemplating what other names to call this person. After discovering the identity of the texter, I was even more upset. This person has no affiliation to BYU – they nor their spouse attended BYU, likewise not one of their four kids attended BYU – yet here was this lifelong San Diegan rubbing it in my face that BYU beat SDSU again. Sadly, this scene for me after

BYU–SDSU games is the rule, not the exception.

Such is the life of an Aztec fan who also happens to be a faithful, practicing Mormon.

Every time the two teams play, I am subject to smug remarks made by BYU “fans” whose only connection to the school is their religion. But just because many Mormons cheer for BYU despite their lack of any apparent affiliation to the school, I feel it’s in poor taste to discriminate against The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, otherwise known as the Mormon church, rather than just showing our disdain for their teams and their fans.

In writing this, I would ask that we as Aztec fans try to delineate between Mormons and BYU fans. I know that this may not be easy; losing at home to BYU just leaves a sour taste in the mouth and it’s easy to direct that anger toward the church we most closely associate with the school. While it’s true that most BYU fans are Mormon, not all Mormons are BYU fans. I am a Mormon, I was a missionary, but I am not, and never will be, a BYU fan. I despise them actually, same as all true SDSU fans do. But my anger, animosity, dislike, hatred – whatever you want to call it — is geared toward the BYU teams and its fans, not their religion. I would ask all of you to do the same. It’s part of the fun of sports to have teams, players and opposing fan bases that we dislike, and there is so much to dislike about BYU even with religion out of the equation.

I think my brother, an SDSU alumnus, summed it up best in response to the same snide text message that I received, simply answering back, “BYU: good teams, the worst fans.” Truly, I don’t believe there is a group of more terribly annoying and unknowledgeable fans in the country. They jump on the bandwagon when the team is good, they know little to nothing about the players and coaches, they know absolutely nothing about the rest of the conference, and yet they are the quickest to make smug comments and try to get under the skin of true Aztec fans such as myself, fans who have been going to games for years and have always supported the team despite its record.

Again, I can’t stress enough how much I dislike the entire BYU sports ensemble. And, most of all, its fans. Yes, this is coming from a devout Mormon. They don’t make themselves too difficult to loathe: from the replay- booth fiasco in football, to Jimmer Fredette and his lame rapper brother, to “Friar” Hartsock killing us behind the arc, to the fact that they’re leaving the Mountain West Conference. Let’s be anti-BYU for all of those reasons and more, instead of being anti-Mormon.

Before this game, head coach Steve Fisher asked “The Show” to keep it classy, and to stay away from doing anything that would disrespect a religion. As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I would like to thank “The Show” for heeding Fisher’s advice and being funny, witty and creative without being offensive.
Here’s to hoping that BYU fans — those who make their snobbish comments, those who have no affiliation to the school and those who text true fans to add insult to injury for no apparent reason – will someday maybe learn a lesson from “The Show” and have a little class themselves.

—Alexander Higgins is a journalism junior.

—The views expressed in this column do not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.

77 Responses to “Target BYU fans with Aztec pride, not Mormons”

1. Allen on February 28th, 2011 12:17 am

Full disclosure: I am a child of two BYU alumni and a Mormon. I will disagree with this individual’s view of BYU fans. First his conclusion is based on a grouse generalization. Does everyone who attends San Diego know their head basketball coach’s name or the head player’s names? I doubt it. Plus most BYU players have roots in Utah. It is local pride. Do most of the team come from Southern California. I doubt that as well. For BYU fans it is a regional thing more than anything (unless they have ties to the University of Utah, then they hate BYU more than any Aztec fan).

Suzanne Larsen Reply:

Allen, have you checked the roster of the SDUS football and basketball team? The majority of our team members are from California. Writing from Southern California is the same as writing all BYU students come from the Salt Lake/Provo area. It’s not our fault our state is so darn big and diverse. I know plenty of BYU students who don’t know the names of the coaches and head player’s name and it’s the same as SDSU.

What’s even weirder about your general comments is Jimmer isn’t even from Utah he’s from NY. Last time I checked NY is not local to Provo. You wrote this to just write this and didn’t think it through. For the record, I too have family that are BYU alums and Mormon so don’t appreciate this lame comment.

2. Drew on February 28th, 2011 1:06 am

I’ve come to notice that there are a lot of one-sided rivalries with BYU. UTEP hates BYU, most BYU fans don’t know who UTEP is. SDSU hates BYU, they don’t even care. Wyoming hates BYU, they say “Who?”. They really are the Duke University of the west.

Dub Reply:

lol, yeah all your natty champs and what not.

Byufan25 Reply:

One sides rivalries are not rivalries at all, but jealousies.

3. Shawn on February 28th, 2011 1:13 am

I’m not sure what BYU fans the author is talking about. As a BYU fan, almost everyone I know follows every team in the conference, watches the games of the other teams in the MWC, and has supported BYU whether we’ve been winning or losing. I’ m sorry that your teams fail to find ways to beat BYU on a regular basis but I think you are just making up reasons to be mad at BYU.

4. Dale on February 28th, 2011 1:58 am

I have to agree with the writers point, but can you say sour grapes and tunnel vision. It seems he is a little insecure about letting everyone else know he is really a SDSU fan. Apparentally, according to the writer you can’t be a fan of a team if you didn’t attend the school (sorry most of America that didn’t attend a school) and that BYU is the only team that has people jump on the badwagon when they are successful. (that’s funny I think the interest in SDSU has really gone up as they’ve been successful and their attendance has increased as well)and last but not least a BYU fan had the tenacity to celebrate the win by sending a “Yeah BYU” text. How dare that BYU fan. That is completely out of line. This guy really needs to look in the mirror and stop painting with such a broad brush.

they sent a friend of an opposing team a text that says Yeah BYU! What did he want more expletives, pretend it didn’t happen, or did he need something more personal or offensive. Appartenally, in this guys mind if you didn’t go to a school you aren’t allowed to be a fan, and please don’t celebrate if your team wins.

No team has the best or worst fans, most teams have very passionate fans and people who do and say stupid things.

illini Reply:

There are so many fans who didn’t attend the universities they cheer for. For instance, I’ll bet there are more Alabama fans than alums.

It makes perfect sense to become a fan of a university that shares the same beliefs and values as yourself. For a Mormon to follow BYU, a Catholic to Notre Dame, a Protestant to Liberty–this makes perfect sense.

“Hate” is a really strong word.

5. Dale on February 28th, 2011 2:00 am

Those evil BYU fans, how dare they send a text that says Yea BYU. How dare anyone jump on the bandwagon when they are being successful we never see that with any other teams. Last but not least BYU fans are the worse because they all didn’t attend the school. (Sorry most of America that didn’t go to college you aren’t allowed to be a fan)

While I agree with the writers point this article seems more of a wild attack article from an insecure SDSU fan than anything with substance.

Dale Reply:

Sorry for the repetitive post, it didn’t look like the first one went through and so I simplified it and sent it again.

6. Jeremiah on February 28th, 2011 4:40 am

Mr. Higgins, the signs “You Need More White Dudes,” and “Jimmer Fredette Is a False Idol,” and “Hi, Moms” reek of something other than class. I think you need to stop looking at the world through scarlet colored glasses and realize that the Show needs to grow up.

Dub Reply:

Quote: Mr. Higgins, the signs “You Need More White Dudes,” and “Jimmer Fredette Is a False Idol,” and “Hi, Moms” reek of something other than class.

And so does this: youtube.com/watch?v=YXnQtKgFZmc

And this: dreamcatchermedia.com/jimmered

If you can’t see the humor behind it all I feel sorry for you. Ease up, pop a Xanax and relax. It’s a two way road, don’t be so sensitive.

7. Jsmith on February 28th, 2011 4:46 am

Sure took you a lot of words to say nothing, and that in a boring, convoluted way.

8. RightCoastVA on February 28th, 2011 5:03 am

You sound like a Dallas Cowboys fan. So blasted obnoxious that when they lose it’s a certain kind of special to rub it in their face even if you couldn’t give a damn about the opposing team.

9. Commodore on February 28th, 2011 5:13 am

Wow, what a terrible generalization. I understand the point of your article but the generalizations completely ruin your arguments. I’m curious though how your comments deriding an entire sports program and its fans are any “classier” than those of BYU fans commenting on the game. Do you really have to have an affiliation with BYU to cheer for them? Or any other school for that matter? Terrible, terrible article filled with jealousy and bitterness.

10. Dustin on February 28th, 2011 6:27 am

“….will someday maybe learn a lesson from “The Show” and have a little class themselves.” That is the funniest thing I’ve ever read. I believe some SDSU fans were throwing things at Jimmer on his way out the door (haven’t verified in a news report, but heard it from people who were at the game).

I’m glad SDSU has The Show. It’s good for the school and good for competition. However, please remember that some SDSU fans are guilty of some of the least classy jeering known to college sports. Do I need to point out how classless the whole “poke Jimmer’s girlfriend” thing was? When BYU fans get smug, it’s annoying but rarely offensive.

11. Rich on February 28th, 2011 6:47 am

Ummm. I’m pretty sure the guy who hit Jimmer in the back was a SDSU fan. I’m also sure that the show ignored Fischer and dressed up as missionaries and held up anti Mormon signs. Maybe not as much as in years past but more than any other crowd byu has played.

12. severed on February 28th, 2011 7:11 am

Does this piece sound entirely like sour grapes. How does anyone loath another team or group so much that they have to write a piece like this so thier religion doesn’t get grouped in. The Church owns the school. The church pays for teh coaches and the its existence, it does sound to me that they are one in the same. You hate BYU so you hat the church that owns it and puts it name proudly on everything about it. I know UTE fans that don’t say as much as you that are in the mormon religon.

This whole article strikes me as strange.

13. Dub on February 28th, 2011 9:29 am

As demonstrated by our boy Dan, BYU fans are the worst. Why take shots at our school? This is an opinion piece, this is the kids opinion. He’s using his experiences to write a creative and funny piece.

As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints myself, and an SDSU alum, I generally agree with his opinion and share the same view point.

This guy Dan is just as bitter as we SDSU fans are. Get out of here with your “SDSU is worse than BYU in every possible way” statement. You’ve never attended school here and speak in general terms. The college experience is what you make of it. It’s statements like these that cause us to feel the way we do; BYU fans are the worst.

BYU isn’t for everyone. And that doesn’t mean that person is less of a Mormon than someone else. Some people feel more comfortable being unique, standing out in a crowd rather than blending in. Taking shots ones school is way below the belt. This was/is sports related, let’s keep it that way.

14. Lance on February 28th, 2011 9:34 am

As a BYU alum and an avid fan, I thank you for delineating the church from the teams/fans. (“I feel it’s in poor taste to discriminate against The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, otherwise known as the Mormon church, rather than just showing our disdain for their teams and their fans”).

To say that BYU has ‘the worst fans’ is quite extreme and a bit offensive. I am not sure how you objectively measure fanhood…but the measures you suggest: Terribly annoying, unknowledgeable (“knowing little/nothing about players and coaches, they know absolutely nothing about the rest of the conference”), bandwagon jumpers, and quick to make smug comments. This all seems to be quite subjective.

How about this, Mr. Aztec fan – I know you have been going to games for years, but let’s take an objective look at your counterparts:

1) This year was first time ever SDSU has had 2 sell-outs in a row
    2) 11 sellouts this year, 8 sellouts in prior 13 years (note this is Fisher’s 12 season at the helm – where was everyone before this year???)

We could go to football stats if you’d like….do you have anything objective as to your submission that BYU fans are bandwagon jumpers? Love to see it.

Next up “terribly annoying” – sure there are plenty of people in the church who’s only rooting interest in BYU is the fact that it represents the church to the college world -especially to BYU sports. BYU is unique in that anyone who pays tithing subsidizes education at BYU. Yes, that means you Mr. In-Good-Standing BYU Hater help fund The Jimmer’s education as well as the other 35,000 annoying students enrolled. For that we thank you. So church members can not only vested religiously but also financially to BYU, despite never having any blood-ties to the school. (Perhaps this is an example of your ‘smug comments’ comment…sorry can’t help it, comes with being parts of the worst fans ever…cough, cough)

Lastly, defining in defining horrible fans, let’s take a look at another measure. Sportsmanship:

Here’s a few objective examples for you again Mr. Aztec:

1)”The Show” needing several reminders to keep it clean and not to attack religous/student beliefs at BYU
    – not sure this has ever been needed for BYU fans prior to a BYU home game.

Multiple fans throwing objects at BYU players after game.

Perhaps your disdain for all things BYU sports can be summed up by a few numbers: Last 3 home losses all to BYU,

15. Lance on February 28th, 2011 9:47 am

As a BYU alum and an avid fan, I thank you for delineating the church from the teams/fans. This is a point that I feel is not stressed enough. I would like to address some of your shots at BYU fans. I too, like you, have been a long-time fan of my favorite team. To say that BYU has ‘the worst fans’ is quite extreme and a bit offensive. I understand that you perhaps see some who join the BYU parade when it suits them, but I would love to see some objective information to support this claim. I am not sure how you would objectively measure fanhood…but the measures you suggest: terribly annoying, unknowledgeable (“knowing little/nothing about players and coaches, ..and absolutely nothing about the rest of the conference”), bandwagon jumpers, and quick to make smug comments. This all seems to be quite subjective. I am going to address some of your measures one-by-one…objectively.

How about this, Mr. Aztec – I know you have been going to games for years, but let’s take an objective look at your counterparts:

2) 11 sellouts this year, 8 sellouts in prior 13 years (note this is Fisher’s 12 season at the helm – where was everyone before this year?)

I could go to football attendance stats from this year if you’d like….do you have anything objective as to your submission that BYU fans are bandwagon jumpers? I’d love to see it.

Next up “terribly annoying” – sure there are plenty of people in the church who’s only rooting interest in BYU is the fact that it represents the church to the college world-especially to the sporting world. BYU is unique in that anyone who pays tithing subsidizes education at BYU. Yes, that means you Mr. In-Good-Standing BYU Hater helps fund a portion of the 35,000 Jimmers/ annoying students enrolled at BYU. For that we thank you. So church members can not only vested religiously but also financially to BYU, despite never having any blood-ties to the school. (Perhaps this is an example of your ‘smug comments’ comment…sorry can’t help it, comes with being parts of the worst fans ever…cough, cough)

Lastly, defining in defining horrible fans, let’s take a look at another objective measure. Sportsmanship:

2)Multiple fans throwing objects at BYU players after game.

3)”Poking” Jimmer’s G-Friend

4) Sacrificial Jimmer doll, all prepared for a top-of-the-stands ceremony

5) Line-rushing students, leaving those students who camped out last week without seats.

And this was just the past week.

Maybe someday I will learn a lesson from “The Show” and have a little class as you suggest. Maybe not.

Dub Reply:

Did you not see the facebook wall of the girl who wrote into BYU’s school newspaper? Don’t bring any of this stuff up without realizing the mockery BYU fans made of our religious beliefs (I am a member of the church) and the religious beliefs of of others.

“You obviously haven’t asked jimmer with a sincere heart or real intent, because he would have manifested the truth of it unto you”

“I got some jimmer candles, I burn them in my apartment as I recite 32 Hail Jimmers to start off every morning”

If you can take these as jest, let others jest as well. Don’t be so hypocritical. Check it out for yourself:

dreamcatchermedia.com/jimmered

Vickie Reply:

For the record: Tithing subsidizes not one cent of BYU’s sports programs. Those programs are funded by private donations and by football (and to a much lesser extent, men’s basketball) revenue. Tithing funds are not used to fund any university sports. Period.

16. Tijs on February 28th, 2011 10:27 am

Horrible article.

Get over it.

Jimmer Fredette is The Show Stopper.

Quit whining and take the loss like a man.

Check average attendance the last few years. BYU has bandwagon fans? Give me a break.

17. Brian Rogers on February 28th, 2011 10:40 am

‘grouse generalization”? really? what you are grousing about? That is so GROSS!!!!!!!
    Did you go to BYU? I hope not, it would shame my alma mater.

18. Alex Riggins on February 28th, 2011 10:46 am

What’s up everybody? I’m the author of this story and there’s really only two things I want to say to these comments: 1. I didn’t apply to BYU, I would NEVER go there, even if I could go there tuition-free and btw, it would have been free for me. As I said, I would NEVER go there. and 2. Thank you, BYU fans, for coming on here and making my point for me. Worst fans, period. This is an opinion piece, this was meant to express my opinion and my experiences, nothing else. Am i bitter about the loss? Sure. Am I a sore loser? Absolutely. Is your team better than mine? Yup. This was about your fans, not your team. Deal with it.

oh, and my name is Riggins, not Higgins. Alexander Riggins. Just so nobody gets confused when they’re reading Autotrader captions in a few years.

Suzanne Larsen Reply:

Hi Alex, bet you didn’t think you were going to get this much response to your opinion, did you? You are entitled to your opinion and some of the BYU and/or fans writing comments are really mean and hateful. I’m not Mormon but have a lot of family on my husband’s side that went to BYU. In fact, I have a nephew on a mission now. While I am not a Mormon, I have been around the church for 20 plus years, have spent a lot of time in Utah and at BYU. A lot of the comments are not only hateful they are not very Christian and go against everything I have been told the church stands for. I’m an SDSU alum with a freshman daughter at SDSU. While I’m not a BYU fan, I have never ever made comments like some of these people. So now I’m ranting now. But wanted you to show some support for you as I was an English/Journalism major myself at SDSU many moons ago. Good luck with your career! There are lots of opportunities out there and the SDSU Journalism school is well recognized.
    Sincerely, Suzanne Larsen

Cougar in Texas Reply:

Suzanne,
    I must have missed all of the hateful comments, or they were deleted. I’ve seen nothing that has exceeded Alex’s own comments. Have you?

Regarding your comment further above, it should be pointed out that while Fredette is from Glens Falls, NY, his older sister went to BYU and now lives with her husband and family in SLC. His parents attended BYU for a semester as well back in the Ainge era. So yes, he does have a prior BYU connection.

Alex’s comments come across as someone who just wants to justify his hatred (a word he uses, btw) by letting a text set him off to label and abuse an entire fanbase. He blames Jimmer’s rapper brother and Noah Hartsock’s thinning hair and 3-point shooting for hating BYU and its fans? That is either really stretching it, or he was hoping to provoke the exact reaction he is receiving.

And, no, not all BYU fans are Mormons.

Cougar in Texas Reply:

Alex,
    You may wish to change the byline of the article then, because it clearly says “Higgins”.

Your disdain for BYU is irrational. You claim that the examples used by commentators to your article make your point for you. That claim only works if you consider it bad fandom pointing out how poor Aztec fan behavior exceeds that of the BYU examples you cited. Please defend the specific actions of your fellow fans.

If you really believe that responding with “go to hell” to a “Yea BYU” text is equivalent behavior, then there is nothing anyone can do to help you.

camobmus Reply:

Alex,

The fact that you’re begging SDSU fans to stop their religious bigotry is a statement about SDSU fans, isn’t it?

Who are the worst again?

Are “you still Mormon?”

19. dave on February 28th, 2011 11:07 am

To say the “Show” showed class is showing how stupid you really are. “You’re still Mormon” and “Hi Mom’s” is pretty low. The kid who held up the sign about the Mom’s was told by his mother that BYU players had multiple mothers. Talk about about an uneducated mom??? Lets also talk about your racist sports talk host who said the BYU football players use the “N” word. I know black players on the BYU team who say they have never heard a team mate use that word. You and your fan base create hate and I’m dam glad we will never have to play the AZTECS again for that reason alone.

Dub Reply:

They may be low but are attempts at creativity to distract the opponent. Talk about class, check out this link:

dreamcatchermedia.com/jimmered

Not only a lack of class but many posters became extremely sacrilegious in their response. Isn’t it all the same?

20. RAC on February 28th, 2011 11:17 am

Grow up! If someone likes a team other than SDSU that makes them a bad, uneducated fan? We can’t like or cheer for a school unless we have some sort of tie to the school.

This guy needs to get a new major, this has to be one of the worst articles ever written.

Dub Reply:

yet it set you off enough to reply.

Notre Dame Reply:

New major, worst article? hahahaha You probably haven’t EVER taken a journalism class but if you had, you would realize that he got you to do EXACTLY what he wanted you to do: get pissed off enough to respond. Way to be the genius when it comes to journalism.

21. Clare on February 28th, 2011 11:26 am

Be careful on your assumptions about BYU “fans” whose only connection to the school is their religion. Do you realize what a huge influence “BYU” is on thousands and thousands of people through other means than just SPORTS!!!; espeically outside the state of Utah; think worldwide. Once you or I make a connection based on just one little influence, one person could easily become a “fan” of that program irregardless of what event takes place whether it is basketball, a conference, scientific breakthrough, speaker, event, etc. The connection is made; then you find yourself a fan; what does it hurt. I’m a fan of many things outside my state and I would support them if needed even if it had something to do with religion or even if it did not!

Also isn’t it in our best interest to welcome new fans even if it is for just one day. Money brings in revenue; and depending on the amount of revenue it almost always determines the size of the sports program for various colleges and universities nationwide which can bring about countless opportunities for students. I say bring on the fans, even for one day!!!

22. Ben on February 28th, 2011 12:04 pm

To the extent this opinion piece asks sports fans to eliminate religion bashing from the bleachers, I whole-heartedly agree.

To the extent this article claims all BYU fans are ignorant bandwagoners, I have to disagree. While as with any group of fans, there will be a spattering of ignorant idiots. The loud-mouth fans are going to be the ones making waves and stepping on toes.

Lots of respect for Steve Fisher and his team. You guys are going to tear up come tourney time.

23. TheGrif on February 28th, 2011 12:18 pm

Here are some realities for ya’ll to ponder:

BYU SAT 1290 (Conversion score)
    SDSU SAT 780

BYU AP ranking: 3
    SDSU: who cares?

BYU fans: Studs
    The show: Still drunk on their press clippings and cheap beer

24. Vickie on February 28th, 2011 12:20 pm

Typical hater rant. Li’l Alex starts his tantrum with a story about “BYU fans” — but guess what? They aren’t affiliated with BYU! The guy isn’t an alumnus, or his spouse, or his kids. He’s just a Mormon who follows BYU and likes to tease overly high-strung SDSU students about getting Jimmered.

And what is Li’l Alex’s response to his “brother in the gospel”? “Go to hell!”

Nice.

Li’l Alex, come back and write another opinion column when you’ve grown up past the junior high school level of emotion. Hating on BYU fans just because some non-BYU fans tweaked your nose (for which you told them to go to hell) demonstrates that you are at just about the same level of emotional development as all those “classy” “The Show” students who snickered about “poking” Jimmer Fredette’s girlfriend.

Don’t go to hell, dude. Just grow the hell up.

Eustace Scrubb Reply:

BYU is always everybody’s #1 enemy. Meanwhile, until this season, I had forgotten that SDSU even existed. Oh well. For someone who lives in such a beautiful place, you sure are filled with an inordinate amount of hate. It’s just a game.

BigZav Gary Reply:

Now that’s funny!

John '92 Reply:

You nailed it, Vickie. And boo to the idea that an article/blog is good just because it draws traffic. I think another journalism major made that argument earlier. You can still have MAJOR flaws in your logic and crash in your article. Of course you’re going to have people jump your trash.. lol

Jan. 26th: 71-58, Yea BYU!
    Feb. 26th: 80-67, Yea BYU!

Yea BYU!

25. stayclassy on February 28th, 2011 12:20 pm

my perceptions are

sdsu teams and coaches = classy
    undoubtedly some sdsu fans = classy
    sdsu students garnering attention on tv and online = unclassy

i’ve loved seeing the unclassy missionary-attire wearing, sign holding fans being shut up consistently.

p.s. Reagardless of how you view the theology there is no comparison between the self-absorbed frat boys mocking lds missionaries and the real missionaries who sacrifice 2 years for what they believe.

26. sothisishowyoufeel... on February 28th, 2011 1:04 pm

wow. Over the top to say the least. I am a BYU alumnus (and from Cali, not Utah) and go to medical school with an SDSU graduate. We get along just fine. SDSU played well and BYU ended up winning out… and life goes on. Im sorry you are so upset and full of “hatred” or whatever. The “show” was mostly funny but lacked some control by a few at the end (throwing towel/candy) but hey this is college right?

There are tons of mormons who dont like BYU. Not a problem. The church owns BYU, not the other way around. I disagree w one of the above remarks saying it is the official school of the faith and thus a crime to dislike the school. It is a Church owned school, not a requirement to be a faithful member. I dont think Id go hating on everything to do with it, as the school has a lot of good things going for it, but its ur deal not mine. BYU peeps are excited, why shouldn’t they be? Its a big year. Some are idiots, some in unique utah ways. But please, idiot abound in this world man. Thats life.

You went too far in your comments with your drunken anger. If you are gonna stereotype all the fans, then throw yourself into a mormon stereotype and strap that bicycle helmet on. Its gonna be a long mission for you… even if you really are older than 19.

JARED Reply:

THIS IS A VERY CLEVER COMMENT. I AGREE WITH ALL OF IT.

27. Johnny on February 28th, 2011 2:08 pm

You’re complaining about people giving their opinions about your opinion piece? Seriously? Do you understand what journalism is?

SDSU’s birth of relevancy happened a few years ago. Don’t pretend like your fanbase has always been loyal and faithful. You’ve sucked in the past and naturally your fanbase didn’t support them. Now SDSU has decent teams and you’ve got sold out games. That’s what happens at bandwagon schools. Do some research and look at BYU’s attendance stats.

It’s a shame your big “rival” is leaving. Now you’ll have to find a new “rival” that is 700 miles away and considers you just another game on their schedule.

28. bobhenstra on February 28th, 2011 2:25 pm

BYU fans didn’t win the game, “The Show” lost it! When our team really needed our help “The Show was off figuring ways to further demonstrate their bigoted classless act on National TV, with little attention being focused on the needs of the team and its players—-Success, at least “The Show” was successful!

Mission accomplished! BYU doest consider us a rival, just another stepping stone to be crushed on their way to glory, and crush they did!

I’ve purchased my last sdsu ticket!

Bob

Bob

29. Rachel on February 28th, 2011 2:30 pm

Although I disagree with the author’s stereotype of BYU fans, I appreciate their comment on despising the fans, not the religion. All too often I find that whenever BYU plays, the opposing team’s fans end up insulting the LDS church somehow. For example, the first time we played SDSU, after we won they’re fans began chanting “You’re still Mormon.” On Saturday there were at least 50 students (I assume) mockingly dressed as missionaries. Acts like those of blatant hate for a religion affiliated to the winning team disgust me. I appreciate that the author has the class to cheer against the team, not the religion.

To my fellow BYU fans writing the scalding comments, this fine student has just stood up for our religion, shouldn’t we be thanking him instead of attacking him!?!?!? Sure, we may not agree with his portrayal of us, but surely we can look past that and be grateful for what he’s done.

I came on here expecting to read a thought-provoking article and some civil comments. Instead I ended up reading a bunch of angry, rude comments. I mean no offense, but I shouldn’t have to reprimend you. You’re in your 20’s. I’m 14. Chew on that.

30. J Rig Maro on February 28th, 2011 2:43 pm

My blood is literally boiling right now. If you people are going to comment on other peoples OPINION PIECE, then read the article carefully before going off on the author.

In Alex’s defense yes he did make generalizations about BYU fans, but BYU fans are making generalizations about SDSU fans as well. It is going both ways.

As for the BYU fans who are attacking Alex as a writer and telling him he needs to change his major, well lets talk about being classy. It is tacky for you to attack his writing ability just becasue you don’t agree with his opinion. And that’s the beauty about this article, IT’S AN OPINION PIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a “mormon” as well. My entire family is. My Dad holds a leadership position in the church and on Sunday was ridiculed hardcore for his being an SDSU fan. My dad works at BYU Idaho (but was born and raised in San Diego and graduated from SDSU) and so we are surrounded by other members of the church and hundreds of BYU Provo alum. In his meeting on Sunday he told his colleagues that if he had thin skin he would pack up his things and NEVER come back to church again. That is Alex’s point. Members of the church are so hard on other members of the church who are not BYU fans.

Alex admits to being a sore loser, being bitter about the loss and that the better team won. All he is doing is expressing his frustration with the BYU fans who ARE ignorant and on the bandwagon.

If you are a “true BYU fan” then this shouldnt bother you. So you guys get over it!

UGH!

SurfTime Reply:

I didn’t know Bill (your dad) was teased so much. We used to tease him over the years when he worked in SoCal and the BYU/SDSU games in San Diego had crowds that were up to 80% BYU fans. SDSU has a LONG tradition of not supporting their teams, it’s actually nice to see them finally coming out to support a winner. I am a BYU alum in SoCal that has often gone to games over time at SDSU and I can tell you that my boys and I always have amusing conversations with drunk SDSU fans at the game.

For the most part the SDSU fans (at least the ones I’ve had the pleasure of encountering and talking to about the game) are generally clueless about the sport or the team, but just out to party. That’s OK too, because sporting events are to be enjoyed whether you’ve memorized stats or just there to support the school.

One last note, for true journalists an Opinion piece does not steer itself by whim or unbridled emotion. Generally there is a logical thread which holds the opinion and arguement together, with supporting statements that are not just based on isolated context. Good opinion pieces do express opinion, but generally don’t give way to such slander and obvious sterotyping. I view this piece as just another one of my conversations with a drunken SDSU fan: Some humor, blind broad stroke statements, and usually a vulgar statement like “go to hell whoever the F this is.”
    (If you read the facebook comments, this is what the “mormon” author texted to someones mother who is related to him).

31. Dub on February 28th, 2011 3:06 pm

This is incredible. The reason us Mormons who support other schools get so upset is for what we are seeing here. Can you not see the humor in all of this? It was written in rage, it is a bitter article and he did paint with broad brushstrokes. That is the point.

It’s funny. Stop taking everything so literally. A loss is not the end of the world and he knows it. It’s sports, so ease up.

It’s his experience, it’s his opinion, and you’re all acting like what he wrote is trying to be passed off as sacred scripture. It’s entertainment ladies and gentlemen. Just like sports.

And like I said in an earlier comment, dressing like missionaries was jest, it wasn’t a blatant mockery of LDS missionaries. Learn to take a joke, find humor in the world around you.

Again, it’s one article about one man’s life experiences. Clam down.

Vickie Reply:

Uh, Dub? The problem is that the article really wasn’t funny. No “ha-ha” moments. Not one. It was really just a dumb article, written at about the level of a high school junior or senior (except for the “go to hell” part, which is obviously very grown-up). And when Li’l Alex identifies himself as a Mormon, well, I just have to hang my head in shame.

I know funny when I see it. Li’l Alex isn’t funny.

Dub Reply:

Sorry Big Vickie, I apologize. You’re absolutely right, about everything. Oh, and referring to him as Li’l Alex is hilarious!

Get out of here troll.

Vickie Reply:

Now you’ve done it! You have hurt my feelings! Troll, indeed! Now I’m just gonna stomp away!

Oh, wait. No, I’m not.

Now, Li’l Alex, don’t go hiding behind a stupid nickname like “Dub” and trying to justify your sad little article. You have been called out fair and square. Either justify your sophomoric attempt at journalism or admit defeat, but don’t just continue shaming yourself. I’m getting more and more embarrassed for you. It’s like watching an especially bad TV show, where you just get more and more embarrassed for the actors and the writers until finally you turn it off to put them (and yourself) out of their misery.

(What’s with “dub”, anyway? You’re trying to overdub your own embarrassing article? Or you’re a frustrated fan from Seattle?)

Dub Reply:

I know Alex, but Im not him. My name is William, W is the letter my name starts with, Dub is my nickname. I wasn’t trying to hurt your feelings, I just reached a point where my belief you could be reasoned with is gone.

You’ve made little attempt to refute what Alex said, you’ve just taken cheap shots at his writing ability, maturity and spirituality. You’ve completely missed the point of this article. It was to help SDSU students see it’s possible to dislike BYU athletics and supporters with out hating the LDS church.

Maybe your sophistication is just so superior you can’t even remember what’s it like to lose your cool, but it happens sometimes and it happened to Alex.

32. Radar on February 28th, 2011 3:29 pm

Dude,
    Let’s see how well you do in attendance, etc. when you aren’t riding on the BYU coattails. Do you even have a cable channel in San Diego that will carry the Mtn.? If not, then where are all the SDSU fans? Can’t even watch your team on cable!!!! BTW when you quit crying, ya’ll can come to Provo and play us in front of sold out football and b’ball fans….Remember it ain’t braggin if you can back it up…..haven’t seen Suck DOg State do that yet…..lol…

33. BigZav Gary on February 28th, 2011 3:50 pm

Wow … Suzanne Larsen isn’t even a member of the LDS church. I find her posts to be right on. I’ve attended various BYU games at Stanford, UofU and BYU, and I have to say that BYU fans overall are much more civilized toward their opponents than the other schools. The classlessness and usual disrespect for the LDS Church and the gospel of our Savior shown by other schools teeters on total intolerance. Can you imagine the national outrage if the same things were said about Jewish or black Baptist congregants?

And, Alex, in which mission did you serve? Usually missions give LDS members real thick skin, having doors shut in their faces, being called names, rocks thrown at them, etc. You got all upset because someone in jest gave you a very little ribbing? Maybe you need to go out on another mission and do a little tracting …

34. Bond23 on February 28th, 2011 4:06 pm

The LDS Church financially supports BYU and their athletic program. Rarely do you see a men’s basketball game in the Marriott Center and not see at least on member of the church’s governing body, the Quorum of the 12, rooting on BYU.

I think I understand the real situation here…and can best be summarized by this true to form riddle:

Q: What do LDS SDSU students and BYU students have in common??

A: They both applied for admission at BYU.

35. OneOf18 on February 28th, 2011 5:00 pm

A thanks to Suzanne Larsen, Ben, LaWilliam Riggins, and Dub for actually reading the entire article, keeping it in context, and understanding the meaning. A lot of “proof texting” going on.

36. Dick Vitale on February 28th, 2011 5:51 pm

Hey baby I still think you guys are a great team and will fare well in the Tourney, baby!

Just stop with all the sour grapes because your team deserves better than that, baby.

GO AZTECS!

37. Alex on February 28th, 2011 6:39 pm

It’s over Aztec fans, we’re leaving the conference… find someone else to hate…

Matt Reply:

After BYU, Utah and TCU leave, the MWC will just become irrelevant. Luckily for SDSU, Boise State will come in and destroy them in sports. Then they will have someone else to blame their inadequacies on.

38. Bentley on February 28th, 2011 7:59 pm

As an “obnoxious” BYU fan, and a “bandwagon jumper” I would like to say that I was born into a family full of BYU fans, and I will be a BYU fan for life. I couldn’t care less about sports, but when my family celebrates, I celebrate, just like a lot of other BYU fans.

39. Ben on February 28th, 2011 8:58 pm

Every sports fan I know, wants to see their team win and do well. I don’t know the background of the author with respect to other sports fan bases, but if you think BYU fans are unique in their bandwagonning or lower than normal sports IQ, you are sadly mistaken. I think you making some decent points to SDSU fans, but the lack of objectivity you seem to loathe in BYU fans, is very evident in your own article. I attended last years game, and sat next to some season ticket holders who were probably in their 70’s. I cheered my team on during the good moments, and suffered through the down times of the game. I didn’t gloat, I didn’t talk trash, I just cheered, exactly as a fan with a ticket should be able to do. I had an elderly Aztec fan sitting right in front of me and my 5 year old son tell me to shut up, simply because our team had more reason to cheer than his. I can assure you, it was mild compared to what I heard directed at others nearby.
    My point is simple, we may be all of those things I listed, but so is every single other fan base in any sporting team in the country, especially if they are successful. Have you ever met a Dallas Cowboy fan? A Boston Red Sox fan? A large percent are smug and take it personal if you question the validity of their team.

I have news for you. I know more about SDSU’s roster than 80% of the SDSU fans at the game. You guys didn’t fill a stadium when you were terrible. That is bandwagoning. SDSU’s fans are everything you despise about BYU’s. It is just because our team wins more that you hate BYU. It rubs you raw. We aren’t even your rival. When we played Utah in Football and lost, I didn’t hate Utah because their fans are annoying. I hate that we lost. They have intelligent fans, and obnoxious fans. My main defense of BYU fans, is that we are not going to throw something at your star player in our stadium. You certainly wouldn’t hear BYU fans chant, “You’re still Catholic” after losing to Notre Dame. I can witness first hand that many BYU fans may be obnoxiously ignorant, bandwagoners, impartial toward their team and annoying. Welcome to sporting life in America. But BYU fans have something that SDSU fans seem to not get. We are good sports. We don’t demean other religions, and justify it as passion for our team. And we certainly don’t need to write an article to tell our own how absurd, immature and classless that is. You may love your team, but please don’t insult someone with at least an average IQ, by trying to make the point The Show has Class.

Taylor Nazareth Reply:

Most intelligent comment yet!

40. Taylor Nazareth on February 28th, 2011 10:52 pm

Okay…this whole piece, the article and the comments have been a blast to read. Some of my thoughts:

1) The article really was generalizing BYU fans, and many comments on here have pointed that out.

2) BYU has a lot to celebrate, and I believe they should get a lot of fans for being categorized as a #1 seed with the big dogs of college basketball. People like the underdogs. There is nothing wrong with bandwagons, in fact, don’t most people, at some point in their life jump on some bandwagon? What’s the point of going to watch a team that sucks?

3) If SDSU would have won, I’m sure a handful of BYU fans would have received annoying text messages.

4) To say that SDSU fans have class, and then say that BYU doesn’t, based on text message that says “Yeah BYU,” as the only delivered evidence, is more than strange. One comment linked a video of Max Hall trashing on Utah, I know Max Hall said what he said, and a majority of BYU probably thinks what Max said was classless, too.

5) Didn’t Max Hall teach you anything? Saying you hate another school’s fans is going to get you in all sorts of trouble, and saying you hate fans, is quite classless right?

6) This was clearly more of an opinion piece than anything else.

7) And last I checked, journalist don’t hyperbolize (For those of you who had conversations about journalism).

And really, SDSU is a GREAT team, and coach Fisher is an awesome guy, and I hope they do well.

41. bammer on March 1st, 2011 5:31 am

Yea BYU!

42. ben on March 1st, 2011 3:41 pm

I love the link to the double XX 1090. Bill waxes his usual poetic self and certainly strokes the egos of BYU fans. My favorite part is about letting your universe reverberate from the wall of sound. Classic Bill. Always loved him. Taylor waxes poetic and strokes my ego. Thanks for both of those.

43. Ben on March 1st, 2011 3:52 pm

I have to admit that I appreciate what you are doing Alex. Giving it thought, I stand by my previous comments, but thank you for trying to give positive reinforcement to your fellow Aztecians. I think what you are attempting to do is honorable. As a devout fan of the team you bashed, I take exception to the means, but I do think the ends are noble.

44. Vickie on March 1st, 2011 6:06 pm

I’d say it’s fortunate for Alex that they got his last name wrong. Hopefully, he won’t be haunted by this embarrassing piece of “journalism” for the next 20 years. With luck and his misspelled name, it will just fade away and be forgotten.

Wish the same could be said for his aunt’s memory of her nephew telling her to “Go to hell” for having the unbridled temerity to tell him that BYU won. Afraid you’re just going to have to live with that one, Alex.

J Rig Maro Reply:

Vickie
    you are the most obnoxious person on this page! You have NO IDEA what you are talking about! You may think that this is an “embarassing piece of journalism” but you’re wrong! People, teachers, and editors are EATING THIS UP!!!!

You REALLY need to stop talking! Its a good thing your true idenity isn’t shown here either otherwise I don’t think you would have the guts to write all this crazy BS that you are writing. You have left a bunch of comments on here…but if you hate this article so much, then get the heck off.

45. R.C. on March 1st, 2011 7:50 pm

for not agreeing with the author there sure are a lot of posts on here. byu fans are always trying to justify their obnoxious behavior. i am a huge sdsu fan and received texts such as, “suck it”, “we own san diego”, “you were just punished by god” etc.. by byu fans after the game. way to be good christians byu. i will admit i know a select handful of decent byu fans but just a handful. i went to byu for a year and had pop corn and soda poured on me for cheering for my team in the marriott center. i hate byu fans. so you can all just shutup saying that sdsu fans are worse or byu fans are saints. bottom line is that byu represents the church poorly in places outside of provo. people hate them and people will always make the connection of byu=mormons. have a good time in the tourny without davies. pride comes before the fall.

46. Janna on March 1st, 2011 8:05 pm

Alex had a visceral reaction to what has been happening to him for years…funny how the same thing happens to me and my family. Some BYU fans are good winners, they are usually those that have had some athletic experience…you know, actually played a sport, were a member of a team. They understand sportsmanship. It’s usually the biggest nerds or the benchwarmers that become “fans” that do all the nose rubbing. Must make them feel better about themselves. Just like the team lines up to shake hands, that’s what should happen, in real life not usually my experience on the Sunday after a loss to BYU. You see, I’m a Mormon Aztec fan too.

47. Vickie on March 2nd, 2011 9:42 am

WAAAAAAHHH!!! Those mean old BYU fans texted me “Yea BYU!” And then a SMILEY FACE!! Meanies!! How rude and impolite!!! Unlike our own beloved The Show, who are paragons of virtue and good taste!!! I hate BYU because they’re so HATEFUL!!! I mean, “Yea BYU!”? Those mean, hateful BYU fans! Especially my aunt, who can GO TO HELL!!! WAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

I am so, so, so, so, SO glad I bypassed SDSU and went to school further north. What a complete, total, utter embarrassment to San Diego.

48. Paul on March 21st, 2011 7:02 am

I am a BYU graduate and I love the Cougars. I was raised in Southern California and grew up watching UCLA and USC football and basketball games. I never heard of SDSU before I went to BYU.

Steve Fisher is a class act and a great coach.

Congratulations on winning the MWC championship. You have a great team.
    Congratulations on advancing to the Sweet 16. I am rooting for you guys. Wow, first victory in the NCAA tournament and Sweet 16 both in the same year. Your guys have worked hard and are very talented. You deserve the success you have earned.

In a head to head battle between BYU and SDSU, I will root for BYU. Any other time I am rooting for both teams.

I never understood how a Mormon could despise BYU. It makes no sense. Their tithing money supports the university. They believe that the LDS church is lead by a Prophet of God. The Prophet directs the financial expenditures of the church.

As far as I am concerned for a Mormon to hate BYU is to come out in open rebellion against God and it demonstrates that they are in full apostasy from the church.

The author of this letter has much repenting to do.

Dub Reply:

Hating the teams/fans and hating the school are two different things. Did you even read the article? It was about dislike of a sporting team and not their religion. It’s because of people like yourself that the author and many other members of the Church would never attend BYU. Who are you to call him to repentance? We all have things to work on, so let this kid work on his while you work on yours.

49. Frank Davis on April 1st, 2011 10:19 pm

I support Alex’s position 100%. BYU fans are whiny losers, arrogant winners. I am LDS, and SDSU alum, and very active in church leadership. Yet if BYU loses, it was the ref’s fault or “they cheated”, i.e. the Utah football game fumble. If they win, they boast and claim they won because they are the Lord’s University, and any claim of impropriety (i.e. the SDSU fumble call with BYU employees in the replay booth) is audacious and an attack. When they win, they are all mouth; when they lose they are all blame everyone else. They want us to separate the Church from the sport, yet they cheer the team in Church and Church fuctions. Hypocrisy at it’s finest.

The ultimaate satisfaction was beating them fopr the third game, clinching the MWC Tourney and co-MWC champions. Guess “The Lord’s Team” came in second. heh heh heh.

Commenting on our site is a privilege. We want our readers to add their point of view to every story but ask that they keep their comments relevant to the topic at hand. We will remove comments and possibly ban users who do the following: a. Use vulgar or racist language. b. Threaten harm of any sort to staff, commenters or the subject of an article. c. Leave spam in their comment. If you have questions about these rules please contact our Digital Content Manager at: web@thedailyaztec.com