SDSU’s slide continues

Edward Lewis

With such a young roster and a difficult schedule to start the season, the San Diego State baseball team knew February and March would be rough.

It just wasn’t sure it would be this rough.

SDSU lost its sixth game of the season on Tuesday night to No. 5 UCLA, dropping the Aztecs to 1-6 this season. SDSU, which started four freshmen, only managed three hits and two runs and also committed two errors in a 5-2 loss to the Bruins at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

Sophomore pitcher Bryan Crabb earned his second start of the season, but he gave up four hits and four walks in just four innings. Crabb was tagged for two earned runs and was pegged with his second loss of the season.

The Aztecs’ bullpen wasn’t much better, as senior Ryan Wynveen, junior John Pecoraro and freshman Cole Swanson finished the final five innings, giving up three more earned runs on six hits.

SDSU’s schedule doesn’t get any easier this weekend. It will play Oklahoma tonight, Cal tomorrow night, Connecticut on Saturday night and finally Oklahoma again on Sunday.

The Aztecs currently sit in fifth place in the Mountain West Conference standings.