Plan your calendar with on-campus events

Sports Business Initiative: Sports Business Panel

Sports Business Initiative is an organization based on helping San Diego State students who aspire to have careers in the sports business industry. The organization works with SDSU’s nationally acclaimed Sports Business MBA program. They strive to connect their members to sport industry professionals. In March, SBI will be partnering with Career Services to have its first Sports Business Panel.  Sport representatives from teams such as the Padres, Chargers, 49ers and the San Diego Sports Commission will be on campus to meet and discuss internship and job opportunities with students and SBI members. The panel will take place on Thursday, March 13.

Andres Bonifacio Samahan: Filipino Cultural Night

The AB Samahan club, named after the 19th century revolutionary hero, promotes to keeping the Filipino-American identity, according to the organization’s website. The club puts on many events throughout the year to help educate and enrich members and the community about Filipino culture. Their most important event is Filipino Cultural Night. This student-run event showcases a play recreating the daily struggles of Filipino-Americans. The event also includes many cultural dance performances to preserve the diversity of cultures within the Filipino nationality. This year will be monumental for the club since Filipino Culture Night will be returning to campus with a debut in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union. Because the show is funded by donations and fundraisers, there will be no entrance fee. The production is known to attract up to 600 attendees, so come early to witness the exciting spectacle. The show will take place on March 28 and 29 in the student union theater.

SDSU Colleges Against Cancer: Relay for Life

This club was created by a group of students whose lives were all impacted by cancer. The club is a place of comfort for students to discuss a topic as serious as cancer. Last year, they raised $18,000 for cancer research, services and programs for people going through treatment. This year, Relay for Life has a new goal of $25,000. This 24-hour annual fundraiser includes hourly games and activities to keep everyone excited. Relay for Life will be taking place at the Aztec Student Union on April 12 through April 13. CAC invites everyone to attend and hopes to address the stigma of cancer and work toward putting an end to ending cancer everywhere.

Aztecs for Israel: Israeli Soldier Stories

According to Aztec’s for Israel’s Facebook page, the group’s main goal is to “promote unity and joint action among pro-Israel students.” It also aims to educate SDSU students about the state of Israel. Because of Middle Eastern conflict, Israel is constantly receiving media attention concerning its military actions. Along with the Student Veteran Organization, AFI will be hosting a forum in which Israeli soldiers will speak about their experience in the Israeli Defense Forces army. They will also discuss their insight on the Middle Eastern conflict and answer any political or social questions that interest students. The forum will be taking place on April 9 and the location will be announced soon. 

Students for Justice in Palestine: Palestine Solidarity Month

Student for Justice in Palestine’s mission statement reads “students united for the freedom of an oppressed people.” SJP is a passionate organization that hopes for the end of the Middle Eastern conflict. Members encourage the end of the blockade on Gaza and for indigenous Palestinians to return to the area that is now Israel. Every year, SJP holds a Palestine Awareness Week. This year is significantly different because protestors have declared the month of March Palestine Solidarity Month. SJP will be hosting events and forums throughout the month of March, Headlining the event will be Oscar-nominated guest speaker Guy Davidi. Davidi, who is from Israel, will discuss his opinion of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. More information about the time and location will be announced soon.

Photo courtesy of Colleges Against Cancer