SDSUPD has a new Chief of Police

Photo by Chelsea Massey, staff photographer

Interim Chief of Police Lamine Secka was selected as the new chief of police for the San Diego State Police Department last Tuesday.

Secka was chosen instead of San Diego County Sheriff’s Department Executive Director of the Division of Inspectional Services  Robert Kanaski and San Diego Police Department  Northwestern Division Captain Manuel Guaderrama. All three candidates met with students, faculty and staff during a series forums over the past few weeks.

An email sent to SDSU students, staff and faculty from Associate Vice President of Administration Jessica Rentto announced the official selection.

“He has a varied and professional background including assignment as a field training officer, course instructor and assignment to the SWAT team,” Rentto said in the email.

According to the email, Secka has been working for SDSUPD since 2005 and has 22 years of experience in the law enforcement field.  Secka became interim chief of police in July 2013 after the retirement of SDSUPD Chief of Police John Browning.  Browning had been in the position for eight years, with 40 years of experience in law enforcement.

“(Secka) challenges the department to embrace technology, think outside the box and collaborate with community in an effort to address crime and quality of life issues,” SPSUPD Capt. Joshua Mays said.

Secka has a bachelor’s degree in Communications from University of California, San Diego, an administration management certificate from University of California, Irvine and is working toward his master’s degree in homeland security at SDSU.

“Chief Secka is a great choice to lead this department as the university rapidly expands and grows,” Mays said.

SDSUPD has a new Chief of Police