Student Success Fee concerns go to the CSU Chancellor’s office

On Wednesday, protesters from a variety of California public colleges made an appearance at a bi-monthly board meeting at the California State University Chancellor’s Office in Long Beach.

The meeting began at 7:30 a.m. while protesters rallied outside and used the public comment period to speak of their concerns about “student success fee” being pushed throughout the CSU system.

While students came from CSU, University of California, and community colleges all over the state, SDSU students spoke on the recently proposed student success fee to CSU chancellor Timothy White.

“Speaking for myself, I want to see students being successful and coming together to fight for education and human rights,” protest coordinator Bo Elder said. “I want to see students improve their understanding of the political context and prove their capabilities of democracy in a way that is going to benefit all Californians.”

Though other CSUs began passing similar fees in 2011, SDSU was the ninth and most recent CSU to pass a student success fee, according to USA Today.

Others used the public comment period to speak on behalf of the fee.

“Even though it was not a subject for the meeting, it’s important for trustees and the chancellor to hear that discussion,” CSU Director of Public Affairs Mike Uhlenkamp said.  “Students took the opportunity during public comment to share their information with the CSU trustees. “

Attendees included Chancellor White, board members and around 70 protesters from college campuses in the state of California, according to Elder.

Chancellor of the UC system Janet Napolitano and California Community Colleges Chancellor Brice Harris were also in attendance.

The Student Success Fee recommended by the Campus Fee Advisory Committee was passed by president Hirshman in early March and since then some student groups have organized protests.

“The involvement is critical,” Uhlenkamp said. “There were forums, open meetings, emails and questionnaires. In terms of a student fee, the students’ part of that process was the student consultations and the ability for students to voice their concerns.”

Sources:

Mike Uhlenkamp, CSU spokesperson

Bo Elder, rhetoric and written studies graduate student

http://www.usatodayeducate.com/staging/index.php/campuslife/california-students-protest-student-success-fees