Water polo clinches GCC title share

Photo by Monica Linzmeir, photo editor
Photo by Monica Linzmeir, photo editor

The Aztecs notched two wins on Friday and Saturday to extend their undefeated record in the Golden Coast Conference to 5-0 with two 7-6 wins and granted themselves a share of the conference title. With the win on Friday against No. 19 ranked Santa Clara University Broncos, they extended their school record of consecutive 20-win seasons to nine. Saturday’s win against the Fresno Pacific Tigers gave the Aztecs a season best five game win streak.

San Diego State fell behind early in the contest Friday and found themselves trailing by scores of 1-0 and 2-1 before jumping ahead by stringing together three straight goals, giving them a 4-2 lead at halftime. Santa Clara tied it up again with two straight goals beforeSDSU answered with two of their own.

The Aztecs closed out the game 7-6 after a late charge by Santa Clara fell short. The Aztecs ended the Broncos three-game win streak (13-12) and extended their own win streak to four, tied for their season best.

With a win on Saturday, SDSU would capture a share of the Golden Coast Conference regular season title. The team traveled to Fresno Pacific, which is 0-6 on the season and had yet to win a conference game, for an early afternoon match. The Tigers jumped out to an early 1-0 lead before the teams traded goals for the remainder of the half with the Aztecs taking a 4-3 lead in to halftime, led by junior driver Anique Hermann’s two goals. The Tigers quickly tied it up at 4-4, which the Aztecs followed up with their own goals. SDSU entered the fourth period with a 6-5 lead and followed it up with sophomore utility Taylor Gums’ goal to go up 7-5.

Fresno Pacific managed one more goal at the 3:43 mark but was thwarted in the final minutes by SDSU’s defense. The win gave the Aztecs their 21st of the season and extended their win streak to a season best five.

In the inaugural season of the Golden Coast Conference, the Aztecs captured at least a share of the regular season title during the weekend. The Aztecs take their five-game win streak to Azusa Pacific, 1-4 in conference play, on April 16 for their final conference matchup before the Golden Coast Championship which will take place on April 24 – 26 in Los Angeles.

After Azusa Pacific, SDSU will finish up the regular season on April 18 with the Harper Cup against cross-town rival University of California, San Diego, which has a 16-6 overall record.

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, photo editor

Water polo clinches GCC title share