Requiem earns standing ovation

Requiem earns standing ovation

Saturday night the San Diego State Symphony Orchestra, the Chamber Choir and the Aztec Concert Choir came together to perform a program at the College Avenue Baptist Church. About 300 people attended the performance, an event that left the audience pleased. The setting was vastly suitable for the dark and ominous mood the conductors visibly portrayed. The centerpiece  of the night was Faure’s “Requiem,” a mass dedicated to the dead.

SDSU Symphony, "Requiem"Beginning with the Symphony Orchestra, the pieces were played under the direction of Michael Gerdes, who introduced spectators to a nightlong display of 18th century composers. The program stayed on track with European and American composers, including one who resides in our hometown. The Chamber Choir, conducted by Dr. Patrick Walders, performed a piece composed by Brent Dutton, an SDSU music professor. After the intermission, the performance shifted from a calm and tranquil atmosphere to a grand climactic sound of more than 130 musicians on one stage. This was thanks to collaboration from SDSU and the Canyon Crest Academy Choir, an accumulation of local high school students.  During this combined performance, two different vocal soloists filled the room with their sonorous and echoing tones. At the end of the program, all of the musical participants were applauded with a standing ovation that lasted several minutes.

The whole night was brought together through the hard work and dedication of two SDSU professors who directed an ensemble, which came out to fill out the entire stage.  Two specific goals were accomplished Saturday night: one being the recognition of the musical arts and the other being bringing the local community together.  The College Avenue Baptist Church opened up its doors for the enjoyment and service of the San Diego community.

Update: Two different vocal soloists performed as opposed to three, and Dr. Patrick Walders lead the Chamber Choir

Also read: Two distinct musical worlds collide

Photo by Josselyn Molina, staff writer

Josselyn Molina, Staff Writer
Requiem earns standing ovation