Leonard, White proved Jimmer is human

Matt McClanahan

Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor

Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor

LAS VEGAS —- What are you going to do about it? Huh? Huh?

Do something; I dare you.

Punk.

After San Diego State’s diamond-squashing effort against BYU, Jimmer Fredette approached Kawhi Leonard at midcourt.

The two in-conference titans weren’t about to address each other with a “good game,” nor were they about to cup their hand for an old-fashioned, quasi-homoerotic butt tap. And they sure as hell weren’t looking to furnish each other’s egos with “respect,” as Leonard laughably claimed in his post-game press conference.

Ha!

No. What happened after the final buzzer in the conference tournament championship game was a stupendous release of highly carbonated emotions between the two best players in the Mountain West Conference.

“I’m not going to repeat anything that (Leonard) said,” Fredette told the media. “But he was excited that they won. He decided to say some things. I’m not going to back down. I said a couple things as well.”

As the scoreboard glistened with an SDSU victory and fans gushed onto the court, a derailed Fredette marched over to puff his snout in Leonard’s face. “Stop talking trash! Stop talking trash!” Fredette yelled.

In that moment, Fredette looked small. He looked broken … even human.

Fredette not only lost the game, but he lost his grip. He didn’t look anything like the baller who scored 52 points against New Mexico the day before. In that game, grown men with wives literally raised their arms and bowed in the stands to Fredette. The BYU fans were boisterous against the Lobos, chanting, “You got Jimmered!”

But it was a different scene against the Aztecs. The Cougar “faithful” began quietly tip-toeing out of the arena with three minutes still remaining in the game. They had no faith in a comeback, no faith in Fredette.

Blame that on Billy White’s defense.

Largely because of White, SDSU didn’t get “Jimmered.” Instead, BYU got Leonard, all 20 points and 8 rebounds of him. Leonard dominated the paint like da Vinci; so start calling him “Leonardo” instead.

Boom.

On the subject of name changes, White should attach “On Rice” to his, because that’s how he covered Fredette. “White On Rice” excelled on the offensive end, too, scoring 21 points and capitalizing on the absence of BYU’s Brandon Davies (honor code violation).

Good thing getting your butt kicked isn’t a violation of the Cougars’ honor code; otherwise, BYU wouldn’t have a team left.

Adíos Cougars, you’re leaving the Mountain West Conference. I would say don’t let the Aztecs kick your butt on the way out, but that just happened.

As for now, SDSU enters the Big Dance as a two seed.

Do you believe that they will win? Do you believe that they will win? Do you believe that they will win?

52 Responses to “Leonard, White proved Jimmer is human”

1. Trent on March 14th, 2011 9:58 pm

This is an idiotic article. Jimmer still went for 30 points despite being manhandled by two guys bigger than him. How can you say that was contained? Obviously you need to rethink your version of shut down. Plus you forgot the two victories BYU had over SDSU earlier in the season. BYU beat you by 13 at home. You beat a tired Fredette on a night his teammates were shooting like crap. Congratulations.

Mark Reply:

Jimmer went for 30 on 10 of 25 shooting… I could score 30 points taking that many shots. We beat a ‘tired’ Fredette… didn’t the Aztecs play the late game the night before?. Against UNLV on their home court? If anyone had an excuse for being tired it would be the Aztecs. You idiot Mormons need to look further than just the Points column. There are at least 50 players in the country who could average 30/game if they took as many shots as Jimmer.

captain Reply:

I did a little calculation – take Leonards % and have him take as many shots as Jimmer and he still scores less, don’t just arbitrarily throw figures out there without facts. So no not anyone can score 30 points if they shoot a lot.

anonymous Reply:

what is not an off day for that team we beat you guys there for we win you lose we won overall am i right look at Jimmer now every shot air balls every time hes just a ball hog

2. Mike on March 14th, 2011 10:28 pm

Haha. I guess it’s better late than never to get your digs in after BYU throttled you twice. Jimmer still dropped 30 but I guess that’s nothing near 52. So yeah give it up to your boys for stopping BYU but don’t tell us they stopped Jimmer.

3. Dick Vitale on March 14th, 2011 10:35 pm

C’mon baybee act like you’ve been there before, man!

SDSU’s got a great team and a great chance to do some special things this year, and this makes it look like the Aztecs were shocked when they won the game.

Here’s wishing the Aztecs to do well in the Madness of March baby!

4. Youreajoke on March 14th, 2011 10:36 pm

Congrats to SDSU. 1-2 against BYU ain’t all that bad- especially after going 0-2 last year as well. Plus, you held Jimmer under 40.

5. Dale on March 14th, 2011 10:39 pm

2-1
    43 points
    25 points
    30 points
    SDSU got Jimmered!!!

anonymous Reply:

25 points oh yeah thats something to brag about dj gay could do that in his sleep are you kidding me kawhi and dj could score more points than youre whole team the only reason you are 2-1 is because jimmers a ballhog over all were better we just dont get credit for it

6. AztecFan on March 14th, 2011 10:56 pm

30 points… You call that a shutout? I we( SDSU) played better and deserved to win, but I’m sorry, to say a guy scored 30 points got “shut out” means you live in a dreamland. I’m glad we won and I’m an Aztec, but quit disrespecting the POY by saying he got shut out. You’re making us look bad!

7. Kevin Olson on March 14th, 2011 11:00 pm

Wow, really? SDSU sure acts differently when they are losing. You would actually believe that they have class. They get their butts kicked 4 out 5, and they act like World Champions when they finally win one. I think it is called “BYU envy”.

8. Gene on March 14th, 2011 11:03 pm

Hahaha, this article has loser all over it. I hope you are a student Matt and not doing this as a full time job… then again your city produces crap from the likes of Chris Elo so maybe I should realize that this is par for the course.

9. BYUFansAreIdiots on March 14th, 2011 11:06 pm

I could get 30 shooting 25 shots a game…You BYU fans are a bunch of idiots worshipping a future NBA roll player…gratz on the WCC…

Ocss Reply:

You couldn’t get 30 even if you were the only one on the court.

TheSHOWstopper Reply:

SDSU COULD GET A WIN OVER IF THEY PLAY THEM 2 TIMES…WAIT…I NEED ANOTHER CHANCE…OKAY GOT IT…3 TIMES.

10. dairese4ever5 on March 14th, 2011 11:11 pm

SDSU got rings!!!

11. Spencer on March 14th, 2011 11:15 pm

San Diego State has a great team, but this “fan” clearly doesn’t understand school pride. This just comes across as someone who needs validation. BYU has him all butt-hurt for some reason and he finally gets to say his team beat them.

The truth: Sand Diego State’s team is good. It deserves a 2 seed. It doesn’t do any good defacing an opponent the team just beat (after 3 tries). It’s not classy.

BTW, I am a UNLV fan, and would take any BYU fan over you in my conference. Nobody likes that BYU is leaving the conference in real life. Everyone knows we wish they had stayed. So when you say you don’t care about them and then write a hatred-filled article about them, you come off as two-faced and idiotic.

12. chad on March 14th, 2011 11:23 pm

ill take a conference regular season championship over a 3 day tourney any day… san diego st may try to lay claim to a share of the regular season title as well, but we all know who was decked out in white, and who was under the HOME LINE on the scoreboard when it came time for the tourney championship between the two teams…. thats right, in both games in the reg season, byu trounced the asstects both times. by double digits to i might add… and thus was rewarded with the #1 seed….. you guys garnered a #2… I’ll take the regular season beatdowns all day long, during the reg season matchups, the entire nations attention was solely tuned into the showdowns between the only two top ten teams dueling it out… the hype was tremendous both times, and both times you guys got dealt with…. The tourney championship game, seemed to get hardly any pub, and has since almost been forgotten…. no one seemed to be paying attention, due to the big east, acc, big ten, pac ten, & big 12 tourneys all taking place at the same time. plus it must be said, that it was obvious that this time, the asstects received a gift…. they got a tired byu team, who only plays 6 players meaningful minutes…. on the third game in 3 days… a jimmer that was exausted due to making sure that the one true goal for the tourney got accomplished… getting payback on new mexico… after a 52 point monumental eruption, its natural to be spent… to have to follow that up is tuff…. so yea, there was a little let down. but to stake claim that your band of hoodlums made the machine that is jimmer look human is a bogus claim… hawaii was more successful than your boys in containing jimmer… fisher had 2 to 3 (never was it solely billy white) 6’8 thugs with radar on fredette, and he still went for 30… you arent shutting anyone down when the get 30 on u… they played the same good dee vs fredette in the sec meeting. the difference was his supporting cast.. they went ice cold in the championship game….. probably from fatigue….. but dont act like u have figured anything out….. you reaped the benefits of playing a tired, short handed, small version of a cougar team that waxed you twice under more normal circumstances.. and just a quick question.. whats the season tally for this year between BYU and San Diego State? who holds the edge.. thanks

13. chad on March 14th, 2011 11:26 pm

no you couldn’t………

14. Don Vito Corleone on March 14th, 2011 11:37 pm

This is a terrible column. Boom.

15. Jon on March 15th, 2011 12:00 am

@Matt Mcclanahan
    Do I believe that you will win???? LOL Serious… I guess if we have 3 tries! That is what it took us to beat BYU… Serious bro, I hope you are a 5th grader that was writing this for a grade….. If not, then the Daily Aztec needs to get someone who knows what they are doing… You clearly have been waiting for us to beat them for 3 years now! LOL

16. TheSHOWstopper on March 15th, 2011 12:15 am

BYU has lost big games before. Most of the fans just filed out of the arena with an “Oh well, shrug” There was hope for a win…but after losing Davies the odds were against the Cougars.

I was there among the 400 some odd BYU fans in San Diego where The Show was silenced.

Never before have I seen “student” fans unsure of how to react. Many were filled with hatered.

SDSU has been the more talented team the past few years…and maybe that’s why it hurts so much…beacuse a group of small, less-talented white kids got the best of them most of the time.

Grow up Matt- you have a great sqaud that can go far in the Tourney…you beat a shorthanded BYU team…congrats…but lets stop the silliness.

17. Ha on March 15th, 2011 12:32 am

“YOU’RE STILL MORMOM!!!”

Tommy Reply:

Yes I am…and a content Mormon at that!

manaen Reply:

You omitted an important word.
    Correct version is,
    “I’m still *gratefully* Mormon.”

Ken Reply:

“WE’RE NOT BIGOTS!!!!”
    or better yet…”YOU’RE STILL BIGOTS!!!”

18. chad on March 15th, 2011 12:34 am

Instead, BYU got Leonard, all 20 points and 8 rebounds of him.

this is my fav part of the article…. wow… 20 and 8….. & he actually says that with some serious pride…… meanwhile he is claiming that jimmer got shutdown with 30 next to his name…. 20 and 8, bless their hearts in san diego country…. they dont even realize that if jimmer put up 20 points there would be an investigation launched… yet leonard goes for a humble 20 and 8 and byu got leonard’ed… i would love to see this guy’s article after THE SHOW talked all that smack, only to get spanked at home…. or how about the 43 that they got torched with in provo… again i feel need remind u asstect fans of the season series, byu 2 san diego state 1……. how many W’s do u guys even own vs byu in all their time in the mountain west conference…. not too many.. yet ur gonna gloat about your one measly win….. typical high standards, from a school who is known for singling out religious beliefs and bashing them like biggots, or for taking their viscious taunting and removing it from the intended player and instead placing it on a sweet 20 year old little girl/cheerleader, and even go as far as to make it a spectacle over the internet. some truly awful, crude, degrading taunts to i might add that made her not even desire to make the trip….. yet when mr fredette came calling, in your cozy surroundings, you got dealt with like the scum university u are….. i bet your comments werent quite so boystrous that afternoon…. you guys are without a doubt my new most hated, trashy, university in all the country…. your bball hoodlums represent you guys so very well… with malcom thomas either having a severe case of arthritis, or flashing gang signs during mwc celebration, and leonard and white being just as thugish in all they do. san diegos fans and its bball team is a perfect fit.. well not in actual ethnic breakdown.. the university is 4% black, the bball team is 99%… in that way they are actually opposite. i mean they are a fit simply on having no class.. but hey any school who would hire steve fisher im sure abandoned any hope of being viewed as classy long ago

19. Ha on March 15th, 2011 12:46 am

I know you BYU fans aren’t allowed to believe in math and science. But jimmer shooting 10-25 is called getting shut down. Holding the nations leading scorer to a %40 day is pretty damn good. It’s not white’s fault jimmer is the only one allowed to shoot the ball on the team. Of course if jimmer has 25 chances he should be able to put up 30.

Tommy Reply:

He had an off night…..I think it was your coach that said, “He is the best player I have ever coached against….”

20. Greg on March 15th, 2011 6:43 am

It is always amusing to watch an inferior player from a winning team to talk smack to a superior player.

Stay classy, San Diego.

21. Karl Christen on March 15th, 2011 6:53 am

Is this article written in jest? Seriously young man? I’ve been pretty impressed by the class demonstrated by the San Diego State team, until the other night. Fischer I must say is still a class act, but the fan’s and most of the Aztec team has serious Jimmer envy! You’ve won 1 game in 5 try’s against BYU in the last two years! That’s not dominating anyone my friends.

I’m not sure any of us are going to see another player like Jimmer Fredette anytime soon. The kid was amazing and I count myself lucky to have witnessed his efforts on the basketball court. Even Utah Ute fans are in awe of this kid. And BYU fan’s do not consider Aztec fans anywhere near Ute fans in terms of their overall disdain for BYU.

So class it up Aztec fans, or try and find it. You guys do rock in Basketball this year. Plus I think Rocky is going to help you compete with Boise State in the future in football.

22. Trent Larsen on March 15th, 2011 8:26 am

Let’s not go accusing all Aztec fans for one poor article. I believe what was said earlier the writer was just looking for vindication after being beaten by BYU so many times in a row. I still think it is a ridiculous article but there is no reason to blame all Aztec fans for it. I was at the game and for the most part they were respectful.

23. Angela11 on March 15th, 2011 8:45 am

“Do you believe they we will win?” Try proofreading next time. Is this evidence of the educational standards at SDSU? You really make your team and your school look like idiots.. SDSU was ranked higher and was the favorite to win the game. Don’t act so shocked about it! Congrats on finally getting one after BYU has had your number for years.. You’re life must be complete now! This article only serves as evidence that SDSU needs to be added to the list of BYU’s little brothers. Must suck for you!

24. Barry on March 15th, 2011 8:52 am

“Good thing getting your butt kicked isn’t a violation of the Cougars’ honor code; otherwise, BYU wouldn’t have a team left.” Wow. What a terrible piece of writing. How old are you? Are you interning from a local high school?

25. bonar on March 15th, 2011 10:39 am

“men and their wives.” don’t worry matt, i caught the subtlety. byu sucks. aztecs won when it counted, bottom line. by 18. even when jimmerhat scored 30 (60 percent of their points. it’s sad how worthless everyone else on the team is). magnusson and hartsock should just massage jimmer’s calves before every game. they’d help the team more.

26. TST on March 15th, 2011 11:20 am

If the low quality of this article is representative of the overall SDSU educational experience its no wonder SDSU receives no respect from college ranking publications, graduate schools and employers.

I do have to say that on the unintentional comedy scale this article rates high. I laughed the whole way through. Definitely worth reading.

27. Trent on March 15th, 2011 11:20 am

bonar-
    Are you serious? How many points did Hartsock have in the game at SDSU? What was his shooting percentage? I would not call that worthless. (unless you use a different language than English) Also for all you who want to know definition of shut down is. How about Emery on DJ Gay. He averages 11.2 points a game. How many did he have in the 3 games against BYU? 8. 8 points in 3 games. That is a shut down.

28. Jake on March 15th, 2011 11:45 am

This is just overall a very bad article. Please don’t judge SDSU soley on this article!!!

bonar Reply:

^^^ This is a bad comment. Please don’t judge SDSU “soley” on Jake’s disloyalty!!!

29. Nate on March 15th, 2011 12:56 pm

Never a good thing to make fun of a team that beat you twice. It is like when a crowd chants overrated when they beat a team ranked higher than them. This article should attempt to build up BYU so that it doesn’t look as bad when you lose to them twice.

30. Greg Lee on March 15th, 2011 1:39 pm

SDSU = Great team. Good luck in the tourney!
    BYU = Great team. Good luck in the tourney and in the WCC!

As a Cougar fan, I wanted a BYU win. Expecting to win three straight against a great team is improbably at best. We lost, so congrats to The Show for a great game and an excellent job “containing” Fredette. Holding him to 40% shooting and 30 points is pretty impressive, especially considering New Mexico’s complete inability to defend The Jimmer the previous night.

Sports fans should keep in mind that attitudes, comments, and actions define their level of sportsmanship. We can be petty and try to kick opponent while they’re down or we can offer a hand and keep our mouths shut. We make the decision to be petty or classy. Unfortunately, we cannot keep others from treating us exactly how we behave.

31. Zach on March 15th, 2011 1:46 pm

He took 25 shots to GET 30 POINTS

THAT IS INEFFICIENT!!

Apparently no one from Utah knows basketball!!

10-25 is bad!! get off Jimmy Jack’s pogo stick!!

32. Zach on March 15th, 2011 1:52 pm

Unfortunate that you don’t have Davies
    because BYU won’t make it past the first round.
    SJU or Gonzaga will have you easily

Tommy Reply:

That would be in the second round bud……

33. Zach on March 15th, 2011 1:59 pm

Just bitter because they lost the conference

34. FierceArc on March 15th, 2011 3:50 pm

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*GASP*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

… give me a moment…. phew! Wow this article is good comedy. Haven’t had a laugh like that in a while. Thanks!

35. RC on March 15th, 2011 3:54 pm

BYU fans, please disregard the way Aztec fans have acted since Saturday. They have never won anything (nor has any team in San Diego) and they don’t know how to act. It is not their fault, they have just followed losers their entire life. Please excuse them. We will always have 2/26/11, the day BYU ruined the biggest day in San Diego sports history.

Good luck in the tourney Aztecs! I hope you win as many games as possible. I mean it without any sarcasm. Every win makes the Cougars look better. Smart Aztec fans realize the same thing about the Cougs.

36. Todd on March 15th, 2011 11:15 pm

2011 record between BYU and SDSU 2-1. BYU kicked fanny twice, SDSU once.

BYU won at “The Show”–ouch!

37. James on March 15th, 2011 11:40 pm

Is the writer of this article in college?

38. manaen on March 15th, 2011 11:53 pm

BYU and SDSU each beat its nemesis in the MWC tourney but there was a big difference between the victories. New Mexico gave us all they had in our hard-fought two-point win over them. I felt satisfied with a well-earned win.
    .
    The next day, however … well and example: when BYU beat Oregon 38-8 a few years ago in the LV Bowl, I was disappointed because it was clear that Oregon did not come to play. I felt that we had honored them by giving what we had and if they had won, it would have been a significant victory. Our victory over them was hollow and did little for our standing because we beat a bunch of empty uniforms. (Coach Belotti commented after the game that this would help their recruiting because the kids they visited would see thy would have a much better chance of starting the next year.) … I feel that we let down SDSU last Saturday just like Oregon let down us.
    .
    If this was your day to beat us, I wish we had shown up to make it more satisfying for you. FWIW, my apologies. Good luck in the NCAA tourney and with Coach Fisher — I believe this year was just a step in what will be your ascendency under his guidance.

39. Al on March 16th, 2011 1:42 pm

Matt,
    For the sake of all alumni at SDSU, i hope this was a “freshman” analysis of the game and maybe your introduction to journalism.

40. LEDSFW on March 16th, 2011 3:26 pm

Apparently the writer does not remember the two time the Aztecs took on a full strength BYU and lost by 13 points each time. I am not certain that winning in Las Vegas means a whole lot when BYU’s key big-man was suspended. Now had the Aztecs won in Provo or at least in Navy town when BYU was at full strength, I would applaud their effort, but a very short handed BYU against a health group of motivated team wanting to avenge two nationally embarrassing losses earlier in the year just doesn’t mean much to this writer. As for Leonard and Ferdette, I prefer to think of both of them for the class ats they have been all year and not some individual moment after a sweet victory or bitter defeat. They are both more worthy of our respect than this (get a real/serious major) urinalism student writer has provided.

LED
    Sports Forum West
    Member Football Writers Association of America 1982-Present

Commenting on our site is a privilege. We want our readers to add their point of view to every story but ask that they keep their comments relevant to the topic at hand. We will remove comments and possibly ban users who do the following: a. Use vulgar or racist language. b. Threaten harm of any sort to staff, commenters or the subject of an article. c. Leave spam in their comment. If you have questions about these rules please contact our Digital Content Manager at: web@thedailyaztec.com