Gunn-ing for victory: Yang wins US Amateur

Gunn-ing+for+victory%3A+Yang+wins+US+Amateur+
Photo courtesy of USGA/John Mummert

Redshirt sophomore men’s golfer Gunn Yang had his golf scholarship taken away last year after a rough season for San Diego State. Now he’s the U.S. Amateur Champion.

In an unprecedented turn of events,  Yang joined elite golfers such as Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson as winners of the U.S. Amateur Championship. Yang earned his name on the historic Havemeyer Cup on Sunday after defeating Canada’s Corey Connors in the final match-play round.

“It was just amazing, that’s as simple as I can describe it,” Yang said. “I was just trying to do my best in the final round. I was just happy with it because it was my first win since five or six years ago.”

Yang never went behind in the 36-hole final at the Atlanta Athletic Club in Johns Creek, Georgia, just outside of Atlanta. He clinched the title with a two-putt par on the 35th hole to win 2-up with one to play.

The victory was made all the more impressive seeing as he and Connors had to wait through a 97-minute weather delay. But this was the best of the many dramatic wins Yang had over the course of the tournament, including three victories on the final hole.

With the win, Yang will play in next year’s U.S. Open and British Open, and will likely be invited to the Masters.

All from the 776th-ranked amateur in the world, the lowest ranked player to ever win the championship. He’s also the second Aztec to win the U.S. Amateur; Gene Littler won the title in 1953. Ranked 776th or not, Yang remained confident throughout the tournament.

“Well there’s 312 people participating in the tournament,” he said. “I told myself, ‘I’m one of them, I still have a chance of winning.’ My goal was to just get to the match-play portion, so from there I could build on whatever I could do. I ended up winning, so I’m happy with it.”

It took a streak of six-straight match wins for Yang, with Connors being the final obstacle. Of those six, five were top-100 players including Connors. Earlier in the tournament, Yang upset the No. 1-ranked amateur Ollie Schniederjans, who was quoted after the match as saying, “Who is this guy?”

Yang’s next challenge is the start of the new school year at SDSU, before the Aztecs travel to Westlake Village, California on Sept. 8-9 for the Southwestern Intercollegiate, their first tournament of the season.