SDSU handles NAU 38-7 in season opener

SDSU handles NAU 38-7 in season opener
Mike Heral, Staff Writer

The San Diego State Aztecs have beaten the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 38-7 in today’s season opener at Qualcomm Stadium.

Sophomore running back Donnel Pumphrey led the way for the Aztecs, carrying it 19 times for 111 yards and two touchdowns. Backup junior running back Chase Price complemented Pumphrey’s speed with his power, plowing forward 11 times for a total of 45 yards and one touchdown.

Senior quarterback Quinn Kaehler showed a little bit of rust in this season opener, but still put together a nice game: 18-29 for 205 yards, one touchdown and one interception. SDSU’s top two wide receivers played solid games, as well. Senior wide receiver Ezell Ruffin snagged four passes for 53 yards and redshirt-sophomore Eric Judge led SDSU with five catches for 51 yards.

Sophomore wide receiver Lloyd Mills also had himself a game. Mills carried the ball once on a trick play for 33 yards and he returned a punt 67 yards for a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Of SDSU’s 22 starters, eleven were starting an NCAA game for the first time–eight on defense. The defense shone in the first half, though, only giving up 112 yards. However, NAU running backs Casey Jahn and Corbin Jountti began to pick apart the defense in the second half, and missed tackles in the secondary became a problem.

Bright spot: sophomore linebacker Calvin Munson recorded an interception and returned it 69 yards to the NAU 1-yard line en route to an SDSU touchdown.

SDSU handles NAU 38-7 in season opener