SDSU police report second sexual assault in one week

A sexual assault was reported to the San Diego State Police Department Saturday, making it the second sexual assault reported to the department in one week.

The latest sexual assault occurred early Saturday morning at approximately 2 a.m. and unlike the off-campus incident earlier in the week, this assault was committed on university property, at SDSU’s Granada Apartments. The report said a man of average build with brown hair and eyes followed the woman to her apartment and into her bedroom, where the man assaulted her. The suspect fled the scene when a roommate of the SDSU student came home.

Full suspect description: a 5-foot-8-inch to 5-foot-10-inch tan white male or possibly Hispanic in his early 20s with short chocolate brown hair and brown eyes. He was wearing a baggie shirt with a gray center and sleeves of different colors.

In an effort to prevent these incidents SDSU police advise to “be aware of your surroundings, avoid dimly lit locations, avoid alcohol consumption to the point of impairment and immediately report suspicious activity to the police department.”

SDSUPD is investigating the latest case and following up with potential witnesses. Any information about this case or others should be reported to SDSUPD by calling 619-594-1991. If you wish to remain anonymous you can call the Crime Stoppers hotline at 619-235-8477.

Earlier this summer, SDSU was subjected to a state-mandated audit of the school’s sexual assault and harassment prevention policies. The audit determined SDSU could improve its methods of student and faculty education on preventing and investigating cases of sexual assault. The university agreed with the large majority of recommendations made by the state auditors and now requires freshman students to watch a 30-minute presentation on how to properly handle and prevent such incidents.

Quinn Owen, News Editor
Quinn is the The Daily Aztec's News Editor.  Prior to this role, he helped manage social media and digital video production as the Assistant Digital Content Editor. Quinn has also been a Senior Staff writer for News. He is a Production Assistant for KPBS News where he works on the local  Morning Edition, All Things Considered and Evening Edition programs. As a journalism major, Quinn hopes to eventually work as a broadcast news reporter.