Finding a home away from home

Hepner Hall
Jenna Mackey, Photo Editor

Hundreds of miles, hours on flights and painful time changes pretty well sums up an out-of-state student. Not being from California can be tricky for the roughly 10 percent of freshmen at San Diego State who are from elsewhere. Money gets stretched, culture gets shocked and home feels terribly far away. Not being from California peaks a lot of students interests and this often results in a million questions: “Why SDSU?” “Why leave home?” “What’s home like?” and if you are from somewhere like New York, you get the dreaded, “Is your life like Gossip Girl?” In the moment it may seem annoying, but it’s actually a great representation of how friendly students are at SDSU.

One can only guess that the weather plays a role in making students friendly. SDSU is on prime real estate. Campus is far enough from the beach to not be a distraction when you don’t want it to be and close enough to be one when you do. Less than 10 minutes from a variety of beaches, when the homesickness hits a day at the beach is always a good solution. While SDSU is not far from the beach it also isn’t far from the airport. This is great for out-of-state students who may soon become frequent fliers. With every thing else to worry about, it is a comfort to know that the trip home starts with a short jaunt to the airport. San Diego International airport is not only close to SDSU but flies to a variety of places. This makes visitors and visiting all the more easy and possible.

Being away from home and simply feeling different from everyone tends to be the hardest part of being an out-of-state student. It’s cliché and annoying but it’s true; getting involved is one of the best things you can do for yourself and SDSU is here to help.

Barry Chiaveera is an admissions counselor for out of state students at SDSU and understands the importance of non-resident students.

“The energy out-of-state students add creates a community that welcomes everyone,” Chiaveera said. “This campus becomes home away from home for so many students and especially those not from California. The perspective provided by out-of-state students keeps the SDSU community on the cutting edge because everyone’s input is welcomed, sought after, and helps us approach tasks in different ways.”

With more than 100 clubs SDSU is a great environment for preventing homesickness. Making a smaller community within the large one that is SDSU is crucial to feeling welcome and safe. Greek Life isn’t for everyone, but it is an option. Joining a group of people similar to you can help create a sense of family and a home away from home.

According to the Student Life & Leadership homepage, “There are 44 recognized general sororities and fraternities, including both general and culturally-based organizations, that create smaller communities with the larger University environment.”

Aztec Nights are fun events unique to SDSU. The first few weeks of a semester are a time for meeting new people, exploring the school, and getting comfortable in a new environment. Aztec Nights are fun and provide the perfect setting for getting adjusted.

Success in college is somewhat dependent on the environment, but with more than 80 majors SDSU provides an opportunity for any student, regardless of where they are from, to succeed academically.

“The environment in and out of the classroom is one and the same,” said Chiaveera. “We want to provide students the opportunity to learn side-by-side not just with their professors but also with their students. Professors and students alike are approachable and genuinely want to help each other succeed.”

Interesting classes, knowledgable professors and a supportive faculty, all help make SDSU a great place for out-of-state students.

While the distance may be hard, and the questions may be annoying, the location, community and academics at SDSU make being out-of-state as easy as possible.

According to Chiaveera, “It’s a great day to be an Aztec because each new day is never the same yet filled with opportunities to create a long-lasting legacy on our campus. After all, leadership starts here!”

Lainie Fraser, Staff Writer
Lainie Fraser is a journalism sophomore at SDSU. She started writing for The Daily Aztec in 2014 and  is currently a staff writer for the features section.
Finding a home away from home