Aztecs shut out Tigers

Aztecs shut out Tigers
Kristian Carreon

One thing was certain Sunday night at the San Diego State men’s soccer match. SDSU should’ve scored loads of goals, but they’ll settle for the two that they scored in a 2-0 win over the University of the Pacific Tigers.

The Aztecs bagged their fifth straight win on Sunday along with second clean sheet of the year while improving their record to 5-1 before the first road trip of the season this weekend.

“The guys were very clinical in what they did tonight, we didn’t give up anything that was very dangerous…and we were dangerous in the attack,” head coach Lev Kirshner said.

Sophomore forward Forrayah Bass opened the scoring in the 11th minute after a perfect long pass from junior defender Casey Phillips. Bass coolly took the ball down, took one touch and hit a fierce low shot that sped into the bottom corner.

After that, the floodgates opened as the Aztecs attacked the Tigers’ goal time and time again, with the most danger being from counterattacks.

One of those attacks should’ve resulted in Bass’s second goal, but his effort was tame and easily saved.

Freshman forward Donald Benamna also should’ve scored before halftime. He juked a defender on the right side and sprinted into the penalty box, only to see his shot deflect just wide of the far post.

SDSU started the second half just how they ended the first: in dominating fashion. Benamna had chance after chance to score, with the closest being a wide-open header that floated just past the post.

He did finally score in the 62nd minute. Freshman midfielder Ozzie Ramos played an excellent pass to Benamna, who cut in and finished calmly at the near post.

The Aztecs nearly made it 3-0 if not for some heroic defending by the Tigers. Senior midfielder Henrik Synnes challenged the Pacific goalkeeper for a cross, with neither of them actually getting it. The ball fell to freshman midfielder Jeff Rhodes, whose shot was cleared off the goal line by a Tigers’ defender.

Still, the Aztecs hardly let Pacific have even a sniff at goal.

“We did everything we were supposed to, (and you) have to be very proud of that when you’re playing 6-7 freshmen on the field,” Kirshner said.

SDSU will travel to face Florida International University this Friday in Miami.

Kristian Carreon, Senior Staff Photographer
Aztecs shut out Tigers