Swedish singer debuts solo album

“Love me, love me, say that you love me.” We know it, we love it: the undeniably charming song “Lovefool” by the Cardigans. Luckily enough, the description not only fits the iconic 90s jam but the frontwoman of the band as well.

Nina Persson, lead singer of The Cardigans, is currently running a solo project with the release of her debut solo album, “Animal Heart.” Persson describes her latest music as a “rock-pop hybrid.” Staying true to her pop spirit, “Animal Heart” is full of keyboard and electronic sweetness.

What’s truly special about Nina Persson as a musician is her bicoastal heart. She has kept her roots tight in her homeland of Sweden but is also still very committed to the U.S. The musician moves back in forth from countries, which is an incredible culture shock and a definite testament to her strength as an artist.

Persson has continued to expand her audience rather than move on. This marks a courageous time for the artist, known primarily for her work in a band. She moved through dynamic times, being in one of the largest ‘90s groups, traveling and maturing, not only as a musician but as a person. The musician has transitioned into a singer-songstress with grace and growth.

“Animal Heart” is a medley of styles molded for the soft heart. The mellow and introspective album is an homage to the times she is living and the person she is now. Perhaps the most striking characteristic of the artist is her attitude. Persson is incredibly humble despite her great successes. Songs such as “Animal Heart” and “Dreaming of Houses” prove her meek perspective and growing maturity as an artist.

Nina Persson is a quintessential pop figure. As her career advances, she proves her aptness for innovation and drive. Listen to “Animal Heart” and get a case of the feels. Nina Persson will only keep going.

Sarah Tanori
Sarah Tanori, Staff Writer
Swedish singer debuts solo album