Divers trek to USC for Trojan Invitational

Kelly Smiley, Staff Photographer

The San Diego State divers looked strong going into this week’s Trojan Invitational.

Last week, the team finished strong at a dual meet in Colorado for which freshman diver Alexandra Caplan was named the Mountain West Diver of the Week and qualified for the NCAA meet with both her dives.

Currently, Caplan’s dive ranks fourth in the Mountain West in the 1-meter dive, which is the fourth highest for the SDSU program, her 3-meter dive ranks seventh in the MW and eighth in Aztec program.

Five divers from SDSU took part in the event this past weekend. By the end of the first day, Caplan was placed third for her 3-meter board with a total of 302.15 points. Caplan also added a fourth place finish on the 1 meter board Saturday afternoon. Although she had a strong start in the board events, Caplan finished 16th on Sunday in the platform events. She had the second highest score by an Aztec, being beat only by sophomore Shannon Finigan, who placed 12th.

“Our team was very committed,” Caplan said. “We were very committed to do our best. It’s an individual sport but overall our team was consistent throughout our dives.”

Fellow Aztec sophomore Isabelle Choquehuanca was placed 12th at the end of the Friday.

On Saturday, both Caplan and sophomore Shannon Finigan finished in the top 12 for the 1-meter springboard event.

The rest of the team also competed well with freshman Payton Gabris finishing 18th, sophomore Isabelle Choquehuanca finishing 19th and freshman Nicole Dutton 22nd in the platform events on Sunday.

SDSU swim competes next at the annual Arena Invitational at East Los Angeles College on Nov. 20; dive competes next during the swim and dive triple meet at the Aztec Aquaplex Dec. 29 against Air Force Academy, University of the Incarnate Word and University of California, San Diego.