Graduating staffers say farewell: Max Saucedo

It has been three and a half great years for myself at San Diego State. During that time, I’ve had many things change. In all that time, the only constant has been my desire to write and an outlet to do it. My fictional worlds found a home on the back page of The Daily Aztec.  I’ve worked for five editors, written more than 50 stories, and created three series. Since my arrival on the staff back during my freshman year of college, I’ve witnessed the evolution of The Daily Aztec, transforming into a cutting-edge source of news and stories. For my editors, I say this:

To Kelly Callas, thank you for taking a chance on me for that first story,

To Eddie Henderson, thank you for encouraging my creativity,

To Lauren Yap, thank you for welcoming me into the office for the first time

To Elisse Miller, thank you for supporting me as I created the first online exclusive series in Source Point

To Mason Schoen (not an editor, but my peer as a backpage writer), thank you for showing me how to write,

And to Kelly Hillock, thank you for allowing me to continue the great tradition of the back page for this semester.

I leave this paper having done what I set out to do; create worlds and characters, each of which had a part of me in their personality, so that even though I’m gone, something still remains. Thank you.

Whatever you do, do it with all your might. Work at it, early and late, in season and out of season, not leaving a stone unturned, and never deferring for a single hour that which can be done just as well now.”

-P.T. Barnum