Crime Beat: SDSU police receive three sexual assault reports

Student reports on-campus sexual assault

On Dec. 11 a San Diego State student reported she was sexually assaulted the night before at the University Towers residence hall.

The assailant is not a student and alcohol may have been a factor, SDSU Police Department Lt. Mike O’Deane said. The two individuals knew each other.

The police department is reaching out to the student to determine whether or not she will press charges.

Off-campus sexual assault reported to police

Calpulli Center reported an off-campus sexual assault on Dec. 11 after a student visited the health center. The case was transferred to San Diego Police Department for investigation.

Hospital reports sexual assault

Alvarado Hospital reported to SDSU police on Dec. 6 that a sexual assault occurred on Nov. 19 at the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity house.

SDSUPD Capt. Josh Mays said the individual assaulted wanted to remain anonymous and did not want police to investigate.

O’Deane said the individuals knew each other and alcohol may have been a factor.

Transient found dead

A homeless man was found dead in a parking lot near the Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences building Monday, Dec. 8 during the morning.

Mays said the man died while sleeping. The exact cause of death is unknown. A report from the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office has not been released.

The man was not an SDSU student, Mays said.

Quinn Owen, News Editor
Quinn is the The Daily Aztec's News Editor.  Prior to this role, he helped manage social media and digital video production as the Assistant Digital Content Editor. Quinn has also been a Senior Staff writer for News. He is a Production Assistant for KPBS News where he works on the local  Morning Edition, All Things Considered and Evening Edition programs. As a journalism major, Quinn hopes to eventually work as a broadcast news reporter.