Entertainment Editor’s weekend picks

All week Aztecs have hustled and bustled between the first week of classes worrying about books, tests and the occasional stubborn professor. But it’s only the first week, so there’s still a little time for fun before students get buried in coursework. This weekend’s selection of on and off campus events can provide students with that last-minute fun before the buckling down begins.

Common Experience: Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Thursday Jan. 29
7 p.m. Storm Hall West 12

This documentary follows an elderly sushi master as he runs his world famous sushi restaurant in Tokyo. The story follows the every day routine of the master, his son and eventual heir to the sushi spot and the rest of his employees as they make trips to the fish market and prepare for each night’s menu. The menu changes daily depending on what’s available at the market each day, creating unique meals every dinner service. The film is a great watch and intimate look inside the history and prestige of some of the world’s best sushi.

Rae Sremmurd
Friday Jan. 30
Bassmnt

Southern hip-hop duo Rae Sremmurd leaped into stardom well before their debut album “Sremm Life” released earlier this month. Brothers Swae Lee and Slim Jimmy create fun, club-type music that will have the crowd jumping in a matter of seconds.  The siblings received the co-sign from mega producer Mike Will Made It early, and in turn he produced their debut album.  Additionally the duo has drawn premiere talent such as Nicki Minaj, Pusha-T and Young Thug to contribute feature verses on their album. Bassmnt downtown provides the perfect venue to see a high-energy show like this one will be.

Second Annual BeneFIT Fair  at SDSU
Saturday Jan. 31
11 a.m. – 2 p.m., North Library Walk

Health is wealth they always say and the BeneFIT fair provided by San Diego State’s Doctor of Physical Therapy program will help Aztecs assess their own state of health. The three-hour fair will feature tai chi, yoga and circuit training classes so students can try new forms of exercise. Additionally, there will be areas for students to put themselves through tests for glucose levels and blood pressure. Students may also sign up for bone marrow transplant testing as well. Tickets for activities will be sold for one dollar all day.

Aztec Nights Welcome Back Madness
Saturday Jan. 31
10 p.m.- 2 a.m., Montezuma Hall

This late-night party is the last event of the Spring 2015 Aztec Nights. Welcome Back Madness is an annual tradition where all Aztecs have on night of fun before the reality of classes comes around. This year the event will feature free food, a mechanical bull, dance party and the all-important inflatable games that test your athleticism. An event like this is perfect for Aztecs who live around campus but don’t have the luxury of travelling outside the area for fun times. Take the night off and break in the spring semester with some good fun presented by Associated Students.

Nick Knott
Nick Knott, Entertainment Editor
Nick is a journalism senior and in his second year at the Daily Aztec.  After starting as a staff writer in the features section, Nick switched to entertainment as the section editor.  Nick will be graduating this upcoming May with a B.A. in journalism.  He ultimately wants to work in the magazine industry covering music, sneakers or streetwear fashion.
Entertainment Editor’s weekend picks