Forever binge-watching

Americans love doing things in excess. Whether that is overeating, binge-drinking, or just having too much freedom, we’ll always be at the forefront. The propensity many of us have to overindulge reaches into entertainment as well, with the recent phenomenon of binge-watching TV.

Let’s get something clear: streaming services are some of the best things to happen to online entertainment. Nothing else allows for the instant gratification and long-form amusement capabilities that these kind of forums offer to viewers. But beware — a productivity black hole tends to arise from these habits.

What do I mean? Well gosh, that new season of “Breaking Bad” you thought you just started? Looks like you’re already on episode four. “Oh, I’ll just watch one episode of ‘The Office’ and get started on studying for my midterm right after.” Nope, before you know it you’ve fallen into the rhythm of laughing at Michael Scott’s lame jokes and suddenly the next day is already here.

It can happen to any of us.

When choosing what you’d like to watch, you have to pick your poison. Will you use Netflix, Crackle, Hulu Plus, or other less available options, like HBO GO? It really depends on what you would like to see. Want movies and a huge number of archived TV shows? Then Netflix is your best bet. Want to see the newest episodes of shows like Parks and Recreation or The Daily Show? You’re going to want to choose Hulu. Oh, and your only legal way to watch recent Game of Thrones episodes is going to have to be through HBO GO.

It’s crazy to remember that at some point in history, everyone had to wait a week or even another year to see what happens in some of their favorite shows. But this didn’t have to be a bad thing. Take the show “Lost” for example, with its general cliffhanger tendencies leading to viewers having genuine debates and exchanging fan theories on online forums about what the next episode may hold. Things like this just don’t happen anymore, unless viewers are waiting for the next season or movie in a franchise.

But for those who have decent time-management skills, binge-watching offers a opportunity to quickly experience a great show. An activity that would be dragged out for half of a year can now be finished in just a couple of days. This is indicative of how much has changed from the days before widespread online streaming. Anyone can look up the latest news or download a book nearly instantly, whereas before they would have to wait for the next news cycle or take a trip to the bookstore.

Just like binging of any kind, binge-watching amazing shows (House of Cards, anyone?) can also lead to health risks. Sure, you won’t be mentally stunted as habitual over-drinking would cause, but you’ll be sure to face things like muscle degeneration, poor leg circulation and an increased rate of heart disease. With an already unhealthy populace and how easy it is to fall into binge-watching, it goes without saying that this new trend has a few major downsides.

Instant media consumption is still a relatively new beast, as is evident through the recent push to create legislation quick enough to keep up with changing demands. Binge-watching doesn’t need to be an inherently bad thing. As odd as it sounds, binging isn’t necessarily unhealthy, as long as it’s done in moderation. We as viewers need to recognize the great and convenient gift available to all of us, but also understand its potential health risks. So go ahead and watch a few hours of “An Idiot Abroad,” but be sure and do so smartly.

Conor Nordberg
Conor Nordberg, Staff Writer
Conor Nordberg is a business management major with a minor in journalism. He began writing for The Daily Aztec in 2014 and is currently a features staff writer.
Forever binge-watching