List labels SDSU anti-Semitic

Connor Guy, Staff Photographer

by Colleen Larson, Staff Writer

A recent article naming San Diego State among the nation’s top ten anti-Semitic campuses has caused uproar and dialogue centering on the controversial rating.

The website Jew Hatred On Campus ranked SDSU No. 6 in its top ten list.

David Horowitz, founder and publisher of the website Jew Hatred On Campus, said the placing of the top ten is not in any ranking order, but rather alphabetical order. He added that SDSU should be ashamed they were even placed in the top 100.

Horowitz said he believes the reason no action has been taken on behalf of Jewish students who feel threatened is because campus organizations fear of offending Muslims and being accused of targeted discrimination against Islam. He said if it was minorities speaking up against perceived mistreatment or feeling threatened, the university would take swift action.

“I am sure that if even a few African American or Hispanic students felt that SDSU was hostile to African Americans or Hispanics, the university and its diversity deans would move heaven and earth to correct the situation,” Horowitz said.

The article continually references SDSU student organization Students for Justice in Palestine. Jew Hatred On Campus claims SJP is responsible for invoking fear in the Jewish students on campus because of events it has held, including the simulation of an Israeli airstrike last semester during which SJP dropped about 500 leaflets off the third floor of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.

SJP Internal Affairs Officer Alexander James said the organization has no intention of hurting anyone, and does not condone any type of harm inflicted on someone because of their personal and religious affiliations.

“SJP wholeheartedly rejects every act of violence or hate committed against a person due to the groups that they identify with,” James said.

He said the mission of SJP is to eliminate all forms of discrimination, especially those committed against the Palestinian people. SJP is made up of members of many religions, including Judaism, which James said is why it would not make sense to call the organization “anti-Semitic.”

“As for the work we do at SDSU, I believe the simple diversity of our activism shows that we strive to be inclusive and intersectional,” he said. “Our activist work is based on love for our people, not hatred of others.”

Jeffrey Glazer, an active member of the Jewish community and retired lecturer for the College of Business Administration who recently endowed SDSU with a gift toward leadership and community service center, disagrees with the claims that SDSU is an anti-Semitic school.

“I found the article to be totally off-base,” Glazer said. “I have never seen or experienced any sort of widespread anti-Semitism on campus. The article is not supported by any sort of empirical evidence other than to list a small number of activities that highlight a certain point of view with respect to Israel and the tensions in the Middle East.”

Glazer said SDSU is a diverse campus with debates taking place all the time, whether it be regarding issues in the Middle East or whether the Chargers football team should stay in San Diego or not. He also said he believes the administration feels one of the best ways to create informed citizens and future leaders is to encourage students’ freedom of speech and to open up the dialogue about important issues.

3 Responses to “List labels SDSU anti-Semitic”

1. Matt McLaughlin on March 9th, 2015 8:17 am

The whole Bibi thing was presented as if Israel’s attainment of a nuclear defense was universally consensual.

2. truth on March 9th, 2015 11:06 am

First, israheili intel is running a worldwide propaganda op with
    its agents running stories about “rising tide of anti semitism”. but
    it is all a lie, just propaganda designed to get sympathy for the “poor
    jews, i.e. zionist thugs” who are committing mass murder in gaza. Just google: rising
    tide of anti semitism…………you can see the operation for yourself.

Second, see the link below for an example of the zio mafia trying to turn legitimate ciritism of israheil into a crime. under their definition saying “that sure was horrible of israheil to mass kill all those kids last summer” or “israheil killng all those kids in gaza reminded me of the warsaw ghetto” would be hate speech and therefore a crime.

-http://www.amchainitiative.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/CNES-Report.pdf-

go to page 16-17 and you will see the conspiracy.

The truth does not fear investigation or need the law to uphold it.

Craig Reply:

A prime example of anti-Jewish bigotry is posted in a comment above and the editors completely ignore it, not bothering to condemn the hateful rhetoric. That’s why SDSU earned it’s spot as number 6 on the list.