Softball wins four during weekend in Fresno

SDSU Softball team huddles at softball stadium

The San Diego State Aztecs returned to California State University, Fullerton during the weekend for the second time this season to participate in the Judi Garman Classic. SDSU’s second trip up the road was relatively successful, finishing 4-1 against the competition.

The Aztecs beat the opponents they were supposed to beat, but were unable to upset the nationally ranked No. 3 University of Michigan Wolverines. Beside the blowout loss to Michigan, SDSU implemented the age-old defensive strategy of bend-but-don’t-break. Despite their opponents hitting the ball well, the Aztecs tightened the reigns and stranded opposing base runners. While the hits began to stack, the score did not. In four games, excluding Michigan, SDSU forced 33 runners left on base.

During the first day of travel the Aztecs faced a single opponent: University of Pacific. True to form, the Aztecs started the game slowly allowing a run in each of the first two innings. The game was far from over though. SDSU responded with a pair of runs in the third inning and added two more in the fourth. From that point on the game became a defensive battle. Pacific finished the game with eight hits, one less than the Aztecs, but SDSU’s fielding kept its opponent in check giving it the win 4-2.

Michigan was the Aztecs’ next opponent. This was the one team where SDSU did not look like itself. In the first inning, the Wolverines scored six runs and it did not get much better from there. SDSU managed to score a couple runs in the game but its deficit was so great that the game was stopped after five innings with the final score 10-2.

The Aztecs have now failed to upset any of the seven ranked opponents they have faced this season, not including the game cancelled against University of Florida.

SDSU rebounded later that day when they faced University of Iowa. Once again the Aztecs opponent struck first notching a run at the beginning of the game. SDSU didn’t appear to panic by the early score as they went on to send three runners home in the next inning. There were no homeruns hit by the California team, but solid hitting all around allowed them to rack up seven runs. On the opposite side of the ball the Aztecs stranded six Iowa base runners leaving the Hawkeyes grasping at meaningless hits, ending the game 7-2.

Sunday, the final day of the tournament, the Aztecs found their groove against two California schools: Long Beach State and Fullerton. On Sunday the Aztecs gave up 16 hits but only a total of five runs. To add to their defensive prowess, SDSU stranded 16 opposing Californians on base throughout the final day. SDSU beat Long Beach 6-2 and defeated Fullerton 9-3.

The Aztecs proved that an opponent’s hitting success does not always equate into runs on the board. When runners get on base, SDSU puts on its hard hat and tightens its grip.

Up next for the Aztecs is the second half of the San Diego Classic, where they host Brigham Young University and Long Beach before heading off to Santee to face Baylor University and Santa Clara University on March 12-14.