Tasty Tuesday: The Cat Cafe brings coffee and kitties right meow

Olivia Litsey, Assistant Features Editor

Many San Diegans think of particular things upon the mention of Downtown.  Perhaps they think of Petco Park, or the Convention Center — but many are unaware of a new attraction that also lies in this area.

The Cat Cafe is a small cafe that provides the public with their fix of coffee as well as the unique opportunity to spend some quality animal-therapy time with cats that are available for adoption. It is located within a half-mile radius of both of these landmarks at 472 Third Ave. Despite its street address, it actually sits facing Island Avenue, which successfully confused my sister and I upon our arrival.

United States food service regulations require the area where food and drink are served to be completely separated from the cat area. As a result, the entryway directs visitors to the coffee counter first. A purchase is considered admittance to the cat “playpen.”

Souvenirs such as Cat Cafe mugs, bags and t-shirts are in plain sight as patrons enter the narrow area. Brown cat footprints trail the tan walls and chrome countertop appliances.  The menu written on a whiteboard behind the counter includes espresso, Americano, cappuccino, latte, white mocha, mocha, chai, hot chocolate, coffee and hot tea, many of which are also offered both as iced drinks and blended frappes. Adding soy or flavor costs 50 cents.

According to The Cat Cafe website, its coffee is locally roasted, with Cafe Virtuoso espresso and West Coast Coffee Roasters drip coffee. Pastries available for purchase include various muffins, cakes and danishes in addition to brand name chips, cookies and crackers.

My sister got a medium chai latte for $3.45, and I got a medium iced mocha for $3.95. Including the apple danish I ordered, our total was $10.  Though we recognized the Big Train chamba chai spiced mix behind the counter – the same kind of chia tea mix we remember purcahsing at Costco in the past – my sister enjoyed her latte.  My iced mocha was topped with whipped cream, and I appreciated the tiny chunks of chocolate that I sipped up through my straw, but overall, it was no more spectacular than any other iced mocha I’ve consumed.   The apple danish was satisfying and sugary, but it may have been better if I had been able to eat it warm rather than out of a plastic package.

Upon exiting the coffee bar, general manager Tony Wang gave us a quick rundown in which he shared that it was important not to make loud noises as well as being cautious of holding the cats in case they become startled and leave a scratch.

We walked into the room to find about 10 people already enjoying the company of the kitties. An overpowering scent of cat litter mixed with our drinks rather unpleasantly at first but became unnoticeable after a short time of being inside.  The room was also occupied by plenty of cat toys, play structures and a few tables and chairs for patrons who were more interested in observing than interacting with the cats.

Cats are brought to the Cat Cafe through San Diego Humane Society. One of the cats we met was Michelle, a small and shy tuxedo cat who had been adopted and was scheduled to be picked up by her new owners later that day. Wang said that in the few months that the cafe has been open, the cafe has had more than 30 adoptions.

“The Humane Society selects the cats based on their compatibility and if they have the right personality,” Wang said. “We have as many as 10 cats here at a time.”

My sister and I finished our drinks and said goodbye to the cats. We left with our systems feeling caffeinated and our clothes fur-free, thanks to a lint roller that sat at the door for patrons’ usage.

Olivia Litsey
Olivia Litsey, Arts & Lifestyle Editor
Olivia Litsey is a sophomore at SDSU and an economics pre-major with an honors minor in interdisciplinary studies.  She started writing for The Daily Aztec in 2013 and is currently assistant features editor for the features section.