SDSU crime and incident report: Two cases of sexual battery occur on campus in one week

Two cases of sexual battery occurred on campus this week. Suspects were identified but not caught in both incidents, which happened early Sunday morning and Monday afternoon.

In the first incident, four unknown suspects stole the personal belongings of students at an unidentified, east-campus residence hall. It was reported the four suspects were invited to the residence hall. 

Once inside, one of the suspects asked a woman to touch his groin. When she refused, he placed her hand on his penis in an act described as sexual battery by the community safety alert. 

The woman was able to escape and the suspects left the residence hall. No one was physically hurt. 

Detectives are currently following up with the leads and reviewing photo and video surveillance. 

The suspects are described by the community safety alert as: 

1. A 5-foot-8-inch African-American male, about 18 years old with a slender build. 
  2. An 18-year-old, slender African-American male who had his hair trimmed on the side and longer on the top. 
  3. A 6-foot, thin African-American male, about  18 years old. 
  4. An 18-year-old, 5-foot-6 African-American male.

The second incident occurred Monday afternoon in the Life Sciences North building. The suspect, described as a black-haired Asian man in his early 20s, stalked a woman to her classroom and sat close to her, according to the community safety alert.

The man then reached out and touched her breast. After she pushed him away, he attempted to touch her two more times before he was confronted by another student and left the classroom. There were also reports of this man inappropriately approaching other women throughout the day.

SDSU police sent an email on Tuesday saying 21-year-old Glen Balancar was arrested for several counts of sexual battery after being identified by two of the victims.

San Diego State police did not respond to The Daily Aztec’s request for comment in time for publication.

Drug activity

An SDSU student was arrested, cited and released for possession of marijuana at the Chapultepec Residence Hall on Wednesday, Sept. 9 around 11:30 p.m., according to a media bulletin.

SDSU police were called to the residence hall after after someone reported the smell of marijuana.

Later that week, on Friday, Sept. 11 around 3 p.m., Tacuba Residence Hall advisers discovered a large bag of marijuana while checking a dorm room.

Disturbing the peace

SDSU police received a report that a woman was attacking a man with a lamp at Alberts College Apartments on Sept. 11 at 10:11 p.m., according to a media bulletin.

The caller said the incident lasted 10 minutes and occurred in a bedroom of the apartment complex. A report was taken by police, but no arrest was made.

Medical aid

An intoxicated, 20-year-old woman received medical treatment after falling and hitting her head on the sidewalk of Montezuma Road on Friday, Sept. 11 at just after 11 p.m. She was found with blood coming from her mouth and nose.

The woman was conscious and breathing when medics transported her to Scripps Mercy Hospital for head trauma.

Emely Navarro
Emely Navarro, News Editor
Emely Navarro is journalism major with a minor in Spanish. She has been with The Daily Aztec since fall 2014 and is the News Editor. She occasionally writes for Mundo Azteca and acts as a broadcast anchor, video editor and producer. After graduation she hopes to be a television news producer.
Quinn Owen
Quinn Owen, News Editor
Quinn is the The Daily Aztec's News Editor.  Prior to this role, he helped manage social media and digital video production as the Assistant Digital Content Editor. Quinn has also been a Senior Staff writer for News. He is a Production Assistant for KPBS News where he works on the local  Morning Edition, All Things Considered and Evening Edition programs. As a journalism major, Quinn hopes to eventually work as a broadcast news reporter.